Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.86221%

1930s snare ... help with ID ??

I started working on an old snare the other day.

The shell is turning out pretty good.....

The strainer is incomplete, so I need some help with ID.

I rolled the dice and bid on an auction with terrible pictures for a "Weather Master" snare and some old cymbals.

No markings on the shell... no Ludwig stamped on the straight hoops.... I don't recognize the strainer as being Slingerland, so I'm leaning towards Ludwig Universal from the 30s when they moved the strainer down off the rim?

Tube lugs....

The t rods look Ludwig to me.... definitely not Slingerland

What to you guys think ??

Thanks

Kev

Kevin
Posted on 14 years ago

Nobody.....?????

Kevin
Posted on 14 years ago

Iam thinking Leedy but its so hard to tell so many drum makers made snares like this and all used the same type of lugs,rims and strainers..Over the weekend i will check my old leedy and ludwig catalogs and see if i can fine a strainer that matches that one..i would like to know myself..mikey

Posted on 14 years ago

Even the Leedy "Utility"model had the name stamped in the hoop-The strainer is the key here.My 30's Leedy had a different strainer/throw setup.

Posted on 14 years ago

Thanks fellas.

It's a 2-point strainer, maybe that will jog some memories out there?

Kev

Kevin
Posted on 14 years ago

The screws and cup washers look ludwig! and the tube lugs and the shell looks ludwig ,but the t-rods look ludwig ludwig?? and the strainer has me?

Your drummers not much good is he!? What you need is someone that's as good as me. ! John Henry Bonham !!
Posted on 14 years ago

The adjustment screw has to be screwed into some apparatus that has a bridge for the snares.

It would just hang there, suspended by the screw, I'm supposing.

Here's some more hardware pics

And, none of the snare heads I have will fit.. all too big... the straight hoops won't fit over them.

This Ludwig head was on it when I got it....

Are Ludwig heads nowadays a little tighter than Remo Ambs and Evans ??

Kevin
Posted on 14 years ago

all these pics you have look ludwig also, the strainer matches no photos I have of a two point strainer! the abjustment knob is all wrong,?? I would like to know myself!

Your drummers not much good is he!? What you need is someone that's as good as me. ! John Henry Bonham !!
Posted on 14 years ago

It's too weird....

I'm gonna have to make a "Presto Plate" gizmo to be able to play it.

How about Ludwig heads... are they a little tighter than others these days?

Kevin
Posted on 14 years ago

Well, at least someone worthy beat me out of it. I wasn't near the computer towards the end of it. Is it a nice one? I would have gone a bit more, but was not near the magic box when it was time to do battle. You got a pretty good deal....

"Ignorance may be overcome through education. Stupidity, however, is a lifelong endeavor." So, educate me, I don't likes bein' ignant...
"I enjoy restoring 60s Japanese "stencil" drums...I can actually afford them..."I rescue the worst of the old valueless drums for disadvantaged Children and gladly accept donations of parts, pieces and orphans, No cockroaches, please...
http://www.youtube.com/user/karstenboy
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Coffee...16613138379603
Posted on 14 years ago
Action Another action Something else here