Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 130.86430%

1930's Ludwig snare

Does anybody know how to remove the ludwig decal from a painted wood shell in dire need of refinishing, to save and reapply ? Thanks Donny B

Posted on 12 years ago

Do you mean the badge? or is there a decal?

Your drummers not much good is he!? What you need is someone that's as good as me. ! John Henry Bonham !!
Posted on 12 years ago

might be a decal. i recently bought a 30's zephyr lug tom with a decal.

mike

Posted on 12 years ago

hmmm, if they applied the decal on top of the finish, plain old hot water may loosen the adhesive enough to allow you to peel it off. I would put a hot towel, not dripping, but hot, and just lay it on the decal for a few minutes and test.

If you manage to get it off in one piece, you'll be able to glue it back after you detail the drum. Just a thought. I've never done it myself so take my recommend with a grain of salt.

Trying to help out...

John

Too many great drums to list here!

http://www.walbergandauge.com/VintageVenue.htm
Posted on 12 years ago

ive successfully used a blow drier to loosen up the adhesive to get decals off on several occassions. but i would have to think that one that old would be a whole different animal. i doubt that i woud risk it. just my opinion though.

mike

Posted on 12 years ago

I don't see this decal coming off at all. I have many old musical instruments from this period, (drums, ukuleles, banjos) that have decals. They have no integrity whatsoever. If you try to cover it, even most of the gentler masking tapes could ruin it. (I cannot think of the name right now, but there is a special tape for this kind of job. Perhaps someone else knows what it is called).

Posted on 12 years ago

Yep, it's called DONTDOIT tape...... :)

Kevin
Posted on 12 years ago

I agree. These old decals are extremely fragile. I lost an identifying decal on a rare ukulele once, just by trying to gently clean the area (this is where I learned my lesson).

Posted on 12 years ago
Action Another action Something else here