Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 127.85804%

1930s-40s 7x14 WFL MARBLE DeLUXE HOLLYWOOD SWING MODEL

Hi all,

Here's another addition to the collection...

Late 1930s-early 1940s 7x14 WFL Marble DeLuxe (wrap) Twin Sensation Hollywood Swing Model

I got this one last week from a local owner. The seller took the drum to a few locations in my area and they were all nice enough to recommend me. So the seller brings this drum to me and says "I'll just leave it with you, I trust you..."; it's nice to be trusted. I called him back a few days later and we did the deal.

This is a one-owner drum, it was the seller's grandfather's drum and was in the seller's possession for many years. The drum is 100% original down to the original snare cord, I love the way WFL tied the snare cord on the lever side. The drum was stored for many years and was in excellent-plus condition, I could have left the drum as is but you know me...so I took the drum apart and cleaned/polished up everything. This was a very easy restoration, more of a light cleaning. The shell looks like it is maple, thoughts? The drum is covered in the un-catalogued (and rarer, I'm told) Marble DeLuxe wrap as compared to the catalogued Marble DeLuxe lacquer finish. Thanks to Bun for clearing that up for me. The "wrap" is pretty thin but you can see and feel the two seams: 1. the shell seam 2. the wrap seam (see photo). This finish reminds me of the Black Diamond Pearl "paper" wrap that WFL used on their WWII Victorious drums. The nickel hardware was in great shape....4-5 hours later...voila...enjoy!

Mike Curotto

Posted on 15 years ago

Wow, a time-capsule piece.

If insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results, is it insane to practice?
Posted on 15 years ago

Really cool looking snare, nice addition. There was a matching bass drum for that a few months ago on ebay that I really wanted but I figured I would never find the drums to go with..

Once again..good score.

30's Radio King - 26, 13, 13, 16
49 - WFL Ray McKinley - 26, 13, 16
58 - Slingerland Duco
58 - Slingerland Krupa Deluxe
70 - Ludwig Champagne Sparkle - 20, 12, 14
70 - Ludwig Champagne Sparkle - 22 (need), 13, 16
And some others..
Posted on 15 years ago

Stunning! Pretty much a priceless drum I'd say.

Posted on 15 years ago

that color is absolutely stunning... never seen that before.... wow...

Posted on 15 years ago

Sweet looking drum on every front. Seriously cool hardware and such. Quite the find.

You know Mike, I have a theory on how you come on all these amazingly rare wonders...

I believe you wander through houses while people are asleep and scope out what might be stored in the attic and basement. Then, when the homeowners are awake, you casually ring the bell and call yourself "Barney the local junkman" and offer to "clean" said premises. After a few hours doing some dusty work, you make an offer to "haul away the junk" and you abscond with said drum - no one is the wiser.

Am I close, you little dickens you?

Posted on 15 years ago

I posted this on drumforum.org but figured I'd post it here as well in case anyone did'nt see it. I have the full set from 1941. 26,10,13 with the dual strainer snare drum. Finish is in excelent shape. Nice find on Mike's part for sure! Here is my set....

1 attachments
"wfl does not stand for world football league!"
Posted on 15 years ago
Action Another action Something else here