Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.05428%

1930 -60 Gretsch Snare

I have an old Gretsch wooden snare. I looks like the shell was painted red, a strip was taped off, and then the shell was painted green, leaving a red strip around the middle as a finished product. No markings on the inside which is coated a light grey. It has 12 claws connected on either side by 6 long tension rods which run through a lug (more of a guide) half way through.

The badge does not look to have been tampered and the badge is from the 1930's-60's. The shell and all components are tight! Great condition.

The snare wires also read Gretsch Responso.

I swapped out the washers for the nylons when I put the Evans Head down. Prior to this it had a couple of heads on wood hoops that were the consistancy of maybe a durable constuction paper.

Does anyone have a clue if this is an old educational line or if this was "It"?

Is this a museum piece or just an old drum for some newbe to stroke a million and one times prior to getting a full set? Any ball parks on value? Thanks. E.

Hmmm...Well, If you think you might have a clue as too what I am refering to, launch me an e-mail address and I will send you some pics. I guess the format I have the pics in is too large.

Posted on 18 years ago

Your drum is a student model from the late '50s or '60s. It probably looks just like the Gretsch snare in this auction:

http://cgi.ebay.com/c1960s-Slingerland-Metallic-Ivory-Drum-Set-NR_W0QQitemZ130007644493QQihZ003QQcategoryZ64442QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

It's probably somewhat collectible to Gretsch collectors. They're less common than their Slingerland or Ludwig counterparts, but because they're 6 lug, single tension drums, they are more of "odditities" and "wall hangers" than they are players, and therefore aren't worth a ton of money. I'd imagine a Gretsch guy would pay up to $200 for a nice, clean, original one.

Posted on 18 years ago
Action Another action Something else here