Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.86221%

1925 Wilson Bros. Snare drum

This arrived a couple of days ago - eBay purchase.

This photos here were taken right after I unpacked it - before cleaning. The wood hoops are in great shape. I think I will change the heads. They rattle right now. Probably because of the enormous splits in the calfhide heads.

The t-rods take a 5/16" drum key = large.

I will post photos after I get the calfhide heads on it.

I took the heads off last night and there was a "Hutchinson, Kansas" spider in a web built inside the drum shell. Now we have a new species in BC Canada!

The drum came in this "PacMan" case.

Posted on 14 years ago

That's the most interesting drum I've seen in a bit.

Kevin
Posted on 14 years ago

I took the heads off the flesh-hoops and they seem to be good.

Some close-ups of the batter-side wood counter hoop. The camera really picks up the age. They are a little warped too but nothing that can't be worked around. These wood hoops are pretty flexible.

Check out the wood hoop inside the shell.......where the label is attached.

Does anyone here know where I can find information about this "PacMan" drum case?

Posted on 14 years ago

CLEANING DAY YESTERDAY

I love these wee tiny handmade lug claws & the t-rods that go with them.

I had no trouble removing the old ripped calfhide from the wood flesh-hoops. I'm tucking new calfhide onto those hoops.

Does anyone here know anything about the PacMan case that came with this drum? I may see about having it restored. It's in not bad shape - a few pieces of leather missing here and there and a few rips.

Posted on 14 years ago

Tucked the heads today. They're on the drum drying as of a few hours ago.

There's a Slunk Calf American calfhide (Orchestra grade) on the Reso & a White American Calfhide batter. The original wood flesh-hoops were used.

I made a "Wilson Bros" drumkey out of a small piece of 3/8" copper pipe.

The snares & strainer are working good. Everything's in pretty remarkable shape for being 85 years old.

I'll make this drum feel wanted and play it with my 58 Gretsch kit for a while - nice to breath new life into this ole drum.

Posted on 14 years ago

Awesome job Gary! You should post the pics in the gallery!

Posted on 14 years ago
Action Another action Something else here