Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 127.65762%

1920s nob SLINGERLAND 6.5x14 ARTIST MODEL

Hi all,

I just got this last week from the fertile waters of eBay:

1920s Slingerland 6.5x14 nob Artist Model

The seller had it listed (no reserve, no BIN) as a Ludwig but he was straightened out right away by a number of potential buyers. The drum was missing some parts e.g. top rim, 10 tension rods, 20 collar hooks, long lever and thumbscrew; yes, you guessed correctly, I had all of those parts in my stash. The seller was getting low-balled right and left with 350.00, 375.00 offers and a whopping 400.00 BIN offer. I emailed the guy and offered 1000.00 BIN and he accepted, the funny part of this deal was that immediately after he accepted my offer he had to hang up quickly as "I just saw 20 of my cows break though my fence and they are all over the highway now". The drum needed the normal cleaning/polishing and came out clean but still looking its age. As you all know, these 6.5x14 Artist Models are next to impossible to find. This is the first 6.5x14 nob Artist Model that I've seen or heard about (be sure to weigh in if you have one or have heard of others as I am always interested). My 5x14 has the "Slingerland USA" engraving in the panel just left of the 3 pt. strainer but my 4x14 and this 6.5x14 do not. The 1928 Slingerland catalog shows the engraving so does anyone have an idea/theory about this? Calling Dr. CJW? The nob Artist Model family is now complete; 4x14, 5x14 and 6.5x14...enjoy.

Mike Curotto

Posted on 15 years ago

Man, those look great. Especially the new one. Nice to have the family.

Posted on 15 years ago

oooooo I'm in love...

30's Radio King - 26, 13, 13, 16
49 - WFL Ray McKinley - 26, 13, 16
58 - Slingerland Duco
58 - Slingerland Krupa Deluxe
70 - Ludwig Champagne Sparkle - 20, 12, 14
70 - Ludwig Champagne Sparkle - 22 (need), 13, 16
And some others..
Posted on 15 years ago

They all look great, but if you keep photographing them in the middle of the street, someone is going to run them over!!!Eye Ball

Vintage Snares Vintage Kits
Posted on 15 years ago

Ok wild theory from a quick read in Mr. Cook's "The Slingerland Book". They had the engraved gold-plated artist model in 1928 only. In the picture in the book it doesn't look like Slingerland USA is engraved in that panel left of the strainer on gold-plated model.

Maybe your two non-engraved shells were destined to be gold-plated but never made it to any engraver at all, as the gold-plated model was discontinued.

So maybe the leftover completely unengraved shells from the "to be gold" pile just went straight to the put hardware on them pile and then out the door.

Now that is a reach but I love to take a shot at these for the fun of it.

Is there updated edition of "The Curotto Collection" coming out soon... seems like you've added a few drums lately.

Not a Guru... just interested..
Posted on 15 years ago

Ok wild theory from a quick read in Mr. Cook's "The Slingerland Book". They had the engraved gold-plated artist model in 1928 only. In the picture in the book it doesn't look like Slingerland USA is engraved in that panel left of the strainer on gold-plated model.Maybe your two non-engraved shells were destined to be gold-plated but never made it to any engraver at all, as the gold-plated model was discontinued.So maybe the leftover completely unengraved shells from the "to be gold" pile just went straight to the put hardware on them pile and then out the door.Now that is a reach but I love to take a shot at these for the fun of it.Is there updated edition of "The Curotto Collection" coming out soon... seems like you've added a few drums lately.

Vol. II will happen, just not sure when but I do plan on doing Vol. II...

Vol. II will have the Peacock, Lavendar, Streaked Opal, Green Pearls etc...

Mike Curotto

Posted on 15 years ago

Some Kind of Gravity around there...

Congrats!

Cool1

Proudly Endorsing Drums and Cymbals

Posted on 15 years ago
Action Another action Something else here