Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.46138%

1920's Ludwig Super Restoration - Help wanted

I have this '20s Super Ludwig that has been passed down to me through some great Philadelphia Orchestra and Pittsburgh Symphony Orchestra players. I've disassembled it, cleaned it up and put it back together, but have run into a few problems.

I'm hoping the VDF community can point me in the right direction for a few issues that I'm trying to resolve. I have posted some pictures to help with some of the descriptions.

#1 - This throw off isn't original and I'm looking for an original replacement. I've been trolling ebay for quite some time now and have had no luck. I'm sure there's a reputable person/dealer who doesn't charge and arm and a leg, but I don't know of anyone. Any suggestions?

#2 - As you can tell from the second picture, there has been a replacement screw on the left snare guard clip. Where do you find nickel-plated/original/matching screws that would be identical to the one on the right? I've already got a replacement snare guard clip that will match the left one to put on the right side.

#3 - I have the original gut snares, but they need help. Some of them have worked their way out of the small brass fitting and screw that is so incredibly complicated it's almost too much of a pain to fix. It would involve soaking a single gut strand, then crimping it while it's properly housed in the little bracket. Man. . . I don't even want to start with that headache, I'm afraid it would be a lost cause. So . . . does anyone know where I could find a replacement gut set that is still integrated into the housings?

#4 - There's this 1" hole to the left of the strainer. I've seen other Ludwig Super models that have another lever and I can only imagine this is supposed to be a muffler, but I have no idea since I haven't seen any pictures that show THAT lever and the the (alleged) muffler specifically in detail. What is this hole for?

Okay, for now I guess those four things are the issue. Sorry for the long explanation, but I figured you guys will be the best help in steering me in the right direction.

Any help would be tremendously appreciated!

Posted on 15 years ago

#1 - This throw off isn't original and I'm looking for an original replacement. I've been trolling ebay for quite some time now and have had no luck. I'm sure there's a reputable person/dealer who doesn't charge and arm and a leg, but I don't know of anyone. Any suggestions?

Very difficult to find and your drum was probably chromed at some point. Or that is the cleanest nickel snare I have ever seen! Most if not all are usually nickel hardware and shell. If it is original chrome then it would be a rare drum. It was an option at one point for a charge. The exact year is not in my memory. I'm sure someone knows. Probably Mike Curotto. So finding a chrome strainer will be close to impossible.

#2 - As you can tell from the second picture, there has been a replacement screw on the left snare guard clip. Where do you find nickel-plated/original/matching screws that would be identical to the one on the right? I've already got a replacement snare guard clip that will match the left one to put on the right side.

The vintage parts hunt can take years. I had a drum in my collection without a snare guard and I did find one on eBay with other misc parts. I emailed the seller and he sold it to me. So it could take some time to find what you need, unless someone here has one.

#3 - I have the original gut snares, but they need help. Some of them have worked their way out of the small brass fitting and screw that is so incredibly complicated it's almost too much of a pain to fix. It would involve soaking a single gut strand, then crimping it while it's properly housed in the little bracket. Man. . . I don't even want to start with that headache, I'm afraid it would be a lost cause. So . . . does anyone know where I could find a replacement gut set that is still integrated into the housings?

I guess the sound you are looking for is what will determine the original gut or replacement wires. Puresound did have a set of metal wires that work great and will get the drum playable. Mike Curotto is the guy when it comes to gut wires since he sets all of his early drums to original condition.

#4 - There's this 1" hole to the left of the strainer. I've seen other Ludwig Super models that have another lever and I can only imagine this is supposed to be a muffler, but I have no idea since I haven't seen any pictures that show THAT lever and the the (alleged) muffler specifically in detail. What is this hole for?

That hole looks like a modification to the shell. These drums did not have tone controls. Look at the Ludwig Snare Drum catalog pages and you should be able to see when chrome was an option in the catalog history. The drum you have is very nice and in in excellent condition!

David

Posted on 15 years ago

Hey Dave,

Best I can tell it's actually still nickel. There are some sections where it's wearing off (see picture). If I put it next to any other drum I have that's chrome the difference is noticeable. This drum has a yellowish/goldish tint, and it's certainly more difficult to capture that on camera. Although, you've got more experience than I do with old Ludwigs. I guess it's no big deal either way if it's been re-chromed.

It has lived in a case for the last 20 years or so, and it was given a good wipe-down before it's hibernation.

The best I can tell is that Ludwig offered the chrome option starting in 1932 for $60. I'm not sure how old this drum is, other than narrowing it down to a particular decade. The original owner, or at least as far as I can trace back has since passed.

Again, thanks for the help. If other folks have some tips, please chime in. I just want to get this baby back on stage and playing!

1 attachments
Posted on 15 years ago

Hey Jeremy,

Great drum! Frank has one of these which was also retrofitted back in the day with a later Super strainer. Must have been the thing to do at some point. Does the newer version fit in the old holes?

Regarding replacement parts - Extremely hard to find on their own. I'd suggest finding a donor drum which otherwise wouldn't be worth saving as a collector drum. Sometimes you find one where the plating is trashed or where the wooden shell is badly deteriorated but has parts worth salvaging - snares included.

Snares - You could redo what is there or restring new gut. Both would be a pain. Puresounds might be nice. I haven't tried them on an old Super. Another good alternative: Bill Wanser (Pheonix Symphony) has been making repros for years - gut, wire, or combo. I can give you his email if you like.

Some of these drums DO have mufflers. Mine does and it matches the one on my '32 - 34 black beauty. If one is / was present (doesn't look like it on your drum to me) it's an indication of a later drum - post 1930 or '31 I think? Check the bead inside the shell too. If it's a one piece shell, that's another indication of a later Conn era tube lug drum (1930 - 1935). For a year or two there around 1929 they offered Supers with snares under the bottom head AND the bottom head. (There's one on the bay right now.) Doesn't look like that was the case with yours and it's just as well!

Snare guard screws - Mine has replacements too. What's up with that? Maybe donors will show up. Or maybe we can go in on a plating order one of these days...

I'm stumped on the big extra hole. Bummer. Maybe it was a heating element for calf heads? Looks like there are other mods on there too?

You should really call Curotto. He'll give you all the details you want about these things.

P. S. - Here's mine. I know, I know, the snare guards were upside down when I got it. Time for more pics I suppose.

-Lee

1 attachments
Posted on 15 years ago

Hey Lee,

Yes the "new" hardware fits into the old slots perfectly. I think I've come to accept that the random hole at the 7 o'clock position next to the strainer was a "game plan" for the heater inside. For some reason I guess it was decided that the heater should be moved a couple of lugs over instead. Oh well.

I'd also like to find a male electric plug for the heater. I've re-soldered all the connections for the heater so it should work well when I find the right equipment for it.

If you could send me Bill Wanser's email address, that would be great! I've tried messing with the gut for a bit, but I think it's not going to happen. I'm pretty sure some of the strands are damaged beyond repair due to lack of, or too much, tension and not enough use over the years.

I've got a lead on a shop in Oregon that might have/make replacement snare guard screws. If I get an answer soon I'll let you know. If not, sure I'll go in on a plating order with you. I also have a few other vintage hardware things I'd love to get re-plated.

Branson

Posted on 15 years ago
Action Another action Something else here