Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.45511%

1920's Ludwig Needs some HELP!

I stumbled across this and new it was a diamond in the rough but I'm over my head trying to date this drum and need the experts.

Specs:

5x14, 6 lug, Stick chopper Rims with Ludwig&Ludwig Chicago rim stamp (the only marking on the drum. See the attached picts

NOw the questions...

#1 Model and Age...Things I've looked up say either it'a a Pioneer or Universal. Suggestions?

Rims, rim clamps and 6 lugs puts me in the 1900-1920 range any other hints by the hardware

#2 Nickel or Chrome Plating? Not sure how to tell one from the other, Suggestions?

#3 Rims... Rims and snare throw are ferous, Iron and or Steel. Is this the norm? does it help the dating process? Rims are pitting and are receiving the wd40 treatment as I type. What's best coarse of action for the drum's value? WD and polish or send out for a proffesional replate?

#4 Snare Throw...Every thing I have is original with the exception of snare wires and heads. Picts of other drums show a snare throw with a handle. It appears this one is either missing or it is done by thread tenstion only, doubt it though. Any one know the model of the throw or where a replacement could be bought?

Thanks in advance

Posted on 17 years ago

A drum like this would probably not qualify for replating unless

it is going to be done rather cheap.

I say that because the drum is not worth much more then $150 or so

in that condition. Hard to really tell from the photos.

Mainly because it is a 6 lugger....

It is probably nickel and the hoops are correct...

Can you get us a couple more pictures from a distance showing the whole drum? Strainer and butt side.

David

Posted on 17 years ago

Pretty sure it's a Universal. I don't see it in the pictures, but usually the throw-off was attached to the top hoop. (I'm guessing that's where the snare tensioner (with a little flip off lever) was, or there's two holes in the top hoop. They didn't work real well, and over time many of these drums ended up getting drilled for later traditional throw-offs. The plating is nickel. The steel hoops can be cleaned with wd 40. Then, the hoops and the rest of the drum will come clean nicely with cape cod polishing cloths...one should do the whole drum. Use rubber or latex gloves when using this stuff.

Disassemble the drum first, of course. Replating will cost way more than the drum is worth...but it's a nice piece to restore and enjoy.

If the throw off is gone, it would be hard to find a repacement that would mount on the top hoop, but an adapter plate could probably be made real easily.

Drilling for a modern throw off would make the drum playable, but greatly hurt the "collector" value. Of course, since it's a low end 6 lug drum, it's not worth a pile of dough anyway, so...

Posted on 17 years ago

THanks for the input. Strainer isn't a standard universal that's where the confusion is coming from. It looks a lot like the black beauty's throw (i don't know the official part number)

While I'm on the strainer, that's another mystery. There is no throw arm, just a tensioning screw. Drum is completely apart for cleaning and the back of the strainer shows no sign of wear from a throw arm that has been lost to the ages. THoughts?

Having trouble shrinking pict to the size requirements, how is it done or PM me and I can forward picts

Drum is in really good shape and the picts don't do it justice, in fact the haze seen in the picts is actually a bad polish job from the last owner. Hit it with some elbow grease and an soft cloth and it's shine city

Posted on 17 years ago
Action Another action Something else here