Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 127.45720%

1920's Ludwig Black Beauty "scroll" snare...

What would the general range of worth be on one of these (say from decent to excellent condition)? The condition of the one I'm looking at in particular is supposedly pretty good (haven't actually seen it yet) and everything on it is original (though the bottom head is broken). There's some pitting in the finish.

Thanks,

c

Pics here: http://www.simpull.com/BB/

Posted on 17 years ago

Mike C is the best to answer this question, I would say starting at $1500 give or take and then going up from there if the condition is what you say.

The drum depth and the specific pattern do make a difference in value for

those drums so the upper value depends on that.

David

Posted on 17 years ago

Thanks for the reply. The guy said it looked kind of like a flower pattern and wasn't too sure of the depth, but thought it was 5.5"? I'll have it in my hands on Wed and I'll have a better idea on the condition and size then. I'll make sure to snap some pics too.

---

Chris

Posted on 17 years ago

Quoted post

Thanks for the reply. The guy said it looked kind of like a flower pattern and wasn't too sure of the depth, but thought it was 5.5"? I'll have it in my hands on Wed and I'll have a better idea on the condition and size then. I'll make sure to snap some pics too.---Chris

It would be a 5" or a 6.5"....L&L didn't do 5.5"s then...photos would help me to give a more detailed answer...

Mike Curotto

Posted on 17 years ago

OK, finally got a look at it... and it wasn't quite in the condition I expected, but far from horrible I guess for something this old which has been used then sat in a basement for a majoirty of its life. There is quite a bit of pitting and there's a small ding on one side and a 1/2" (or so) dent/crease on the L of the logo. Plus, a lot of scratches on the bottom hoop (guessing from the snare stand used). Oddly, the size appears to be 4" deep by 14".

I took a bunch of pictures and posted them here:

http://www.simpull.com/BB/

If anyone could post provide a bit more insight on this drum and potential worth, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks,

Chris

Posted on 17 years ago

Nice piccolo...could be cleaned/restored. I'd go anywhere from $2500 -$3500.

Posted on 17 years ago

Anyone else? Thanks.

---

Chris

Posted on 17 years ago

Your best bet is to list out your specific questions you have about the drum.

Mike C can fill in the blanks.

Nice drum and you should be able to clean it up real nice. Mike Curotto

also knows a lot about BB and how to take care of them.

David

Posted on 17 years ago

Guess the only questions I would have are:

1. Is there any way to determine the actual year of make?

2. Is the 4" depth more rare?

3. And back to my original quesiton... what is it worth? To expand on that.. is it worth more if it were refurbished or pretty much the same as is?

Thanks,

Chris

Posted on 17 years ago

Quoted post

Guess the only questions I would have are:1. Is there any way to determine the actual year of make?2. Is the 4" depth more rare?3. And back to my original quesiton... what is it worth? To expand on that.. is it worth more if it were refurbished or pretty much the same as is?Thanks,Chris

Hi Chris,

1. It's probably around the 1923-25 era (8 lug scroll).

2. The 4x14 is a tad rarer (more rare?...correct English?) than the 5x14 and not as rare as the 6.5x14.

3. It's probably worth a tad more lightly restored, a "sympathetic" restoration as they call it...as is I say 2000.00-2400.00...I can make that drum into a 3000.00-3500.00+ drum...

I'm at my drum studio now but will post a before/after restoration that I did...photos later tonight.

Mike Curotto

Posted on 17 years ago
Action Another action Something else here