Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 130.66388%

1920's Luddy Universal

Hi Guys,

Just picked this snare up on ebay. Looking for opinions. Clean her up or leave the patina?[img]http://www.freeimagehosting.net/t/htfbu.jpg[/img]

Posted on 12 years ago

ive got a 15'' ludwig and ludwig just like this. i still use it for a lot of my gigs. well, i use it, whenever i have a few extra bucks for extra sticks. haha these are great snare drums. great purchase. Cool1

Posted on 12 years ago

Thanks a lot. I'm trying to tweak it now to get a good sound out of it. I didn't have a spare snare-side head but a new batter head really helped. Sounds kind of papery right now. I think a new snare side head will make a big difference.

Posted on 12 years ago

I am working on one too here! I polished it up but that was mainly due to a lot of rust I wanted to get rid of. Still waiting on the heads. It is a 15" so they did not have any Remo Renaissance on hand in that size.

Posted on 12 years ago

KWDrummer, nice restore. I tried soaking the lugs, tension rods, etc. in a solution of water and ammonia for a couple of hours but that did nothing. I was afraid to soak for longer than that. I'll try the evaporust and see if that works.

Does anyone know what the original strainer is called? I've seen it referred to as a "tango strainer" but I'm not sure if that's a nickname. I've searched on ebay but nothing comes up. I'd love to replace the current strainer on the drum with the original part. It's the one that attaches to the drum and the top rim.

Posted on 12 years ago

I think I've got this one about 90% dialed in. Simple coated ambassador batter and ambassador hazy bottom work well but the big difference was a 12 strand snare wire. That really benefited this snare.

Posted on 12 years ago

The strainer is called the Tango. Here is a page with a 1923 catalog scan.

Posted on 12 years ago

Thanks again KW.

Posted on 12 years ago
Action Another action Something else here