Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 125.65344%

1920s Leedy Utility Snare

$275 plus shipping

Nickle over brass 6 lug snare in good shape. It is in-round and level and so are the hoops. Original strainer and butt plate.

Tension rods screw in smoothly which is key for these type of tube lugs.

Has original hook claws for hoops but half of them have cracked (100yrs old). Replacements can be found at Drum Factory Direct for $4 a piece so 24 dollars but I would replace them all so that you can feel free to crank it up tight.

The strainer throw works well and stays up under tension and wont fall open while playing. Shell has some small scratches and nicks as you would expect for a 100 year old drum.

The only thing keeping this from a collector grade is that it has two holes near the throw and 4 near the butt side, but I can not figure out why they were added. The don't position up with the crimped beds or strainer so not some other added strainer, and they don't have marks on the inside that you would see if a washer or nut had been tightened against the shell.

I was able to put a triple flange hoop on the top and tension the top and bottom to med pitch and it sounded good. I didn't risk tensioning the bottom any further with those original

rim clips. So this will definitely be a good working drum for someone with little more than new snares a bottom head and some clips.

The calfskin on the top is still in good playing shape and I would not replace it straight away.

As a bonus, if you do want to display it, it comes with the original stand which is pretty cool.

Posted on 2 years ago

Here is a video of someone doing a demo of same model

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CKgyh70WrZ4&t=14s"]Leedy Utility Brass - YouTube[/ame]

Posted on 2 years ago
Action Another action Something else here