Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 128.45929%

1920s L&L 4x15 DeLUXE 12 pt. FLORAL SUPER-LUDWIG MODEL

Here's the latest to enter the collection:

1920s Ludwig & Ludwig 4x15 12 pt. Floral DeLuxe Super-Ludwig Model

I purchased this drum just before the 2009 Chicago Show. The drum was all there except for the wires so thank you Bill Wanser for making me up a set. There was the normal 80+ yr. old dirt, grime and schmutz on the shell so I took a good look and decided to see if I could find a product that would polish the original lacquer therefore eliminating having to strip the old lacquer and then having to re-lacquer the shell. I found a product called Klasse (Klasse USA SF CA). The product is made in Germany but you can find it at paint stores that deal with high-end/custom cars. I am mostly happy with Klasse as it did clean off all of the schmutz etc. and it did leave a nice shine to the old (original) lacquer so in marginal cases this may be a way to preserve the original factory lacquer. The price is 35.00 for 16.9 oz so it's not a bargain but for me it was worth it.

The hardware had 80%+ of the Artgold present with the normal tarnish and rust that we all see on these 80+ yr. old parts. I also decided to clean up just the affected areas because we all know -- in unison -- "rust never sleeps"...thank you class. So I cleaned up the bad areas, polished the dead copper back to life and then gave it some gold lacquer so it will at least stay safe and look nice well beyond my remaining years. I had some nice calf heads that seated up high so you can see the 12 pt. floral engraving and voila, here we are...enjoy.

NB: As most of you know I like "sets of things" so I have this 4x15 and a 6.5x15 but I need a 5x15 so if any of you come across a 5x15 DeLuxe 12 pt. Floral Super-Ludwig Model you know where I am.

Mike Curotto

Posted on 15 years ago

As always, just beautiful Mike....Regarding the lacquer on the drum. With the newer BB's (early 2000) I did try to clean mine with a product and luckily I only did a small area, but it started to take off the lacquer. Do you think think the Klasse will work on the new stuff without damage?

Its better to have people think you're an idiot, than to open your mouth and prove them wrong, unless you doubt yourself then speak away....
Posted on 15 years ago

Hey Mike!

What is the history on the people that did the engraving on these older drums. Have any of the engravers been named? Is the method John uses the same method and or did they do it a different way?

Were all the 12pt drums done by the same engraver and did they leave any identifying history.

Thanks

David

Posted on 15 years ago

From Webmaster

Hey Mike!What is the history on the people that did the engraving on these older drums. Have any of the engravers been named? Is the method John uses the same method and or did they do it a different way?Were all the 12pt drums done by the same engraver and did they leave any identifying history.ThanksDavid

Hi David,

From what I got from John Aldridge is that there were 3-4 engravers...the method that John told me uses is a "wriggle" method which is the way the Ludwig engravers engraved...

Mike Curotto

Posted on 15 years ago
Action Another action Something else here