Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.46138%

1920's Barry Bass Drum Nickel Wingnuts

I'm restoring a Barry Collapsible Bass Drum here, but have come up against a snag.

One of the wingnuts has been stripped pretty badly. The hole is 1/4". I'm wondering if anyone has something similar laying around, or can direct me to someone that does.

I've tried re-tapping it with my tap and die set, but it's no use. Furthermore, if I go to the next size up, then the threaded rod won't work on the other side. I really don't want to start changing the sizes of the rods and wingnuts, I'd rather find a replacement if possible.

Soon I'll get some new heads on this baby and post some before and after pictures. This is a really cool drum, pretty innovative for the 1920's.

Posted on 15 years ago

Nice Drum,I have a 26x10, You could try a repair or enginering shop that does Brazing,have them fill the hole with braze then drill and retap.Or even a mild steel weld works. Dion

Posted on 15 years ago

What Sammy said...that's exactly what I was going to suggest while reading the post.

30's Radio King - 26, 13, 13, 16
49 - WFL Ray McKinley - 26, 13, 16
58 - Slingerland Duco
58 - Slingerland Krupa Deluxe
70 - Ludwig Champagne Sparkle - 20, 12, 14
70 - Ludwig Champagne Sparkle - 22 (need), 13, 16
And some others..
Posted on 15 years ago

[COLOR="DarkRed"]Yipes...what does the thing look like in the "collapsed" position ?[/COLOR]

www.2ndending.com
Posted on 14 years ago

Helicoil might work if they make one that small.

That way there'd be no heat damage to the finish like brazing or welding probably would do.

There's been times when I've physically distorted threads (i.e. with a punch for instance) enough that you could then use a tap and get enough thread contact to function.

Posted on 14 years ago
Action Another action Something else here