Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 131.46555%

18" Bass Drums

I've never had a kit with an 18" bass drum.

Just wondering if they can be played WITHOUT a a riser?

Thanks in advance for your time and your help!

Posted on 1 year ago

They certainly can be played directly on the floor, however I've always favored a lift of a few inches. Currently I play a 60s Rogers 18, a Remo Master Edge 18, and an 80s Tama Superstar 18.

John/Levelpebble

Tama Superstar 81 Aqua bop
Rogers Cleveland BDP (x2), Silver bop, Champagne, Black/Gold Duco, WMP, Blue sparkle; Dayton Red Onyx;
Camco Oaklawn 12 14 20 5x14 Tuxedo WMP
LW 59 SC Blue Sparkle, WMP
WFL Gold Sparkle SC, WMP Compacto
Gretsch 49/50 Broadkaster WMP
Fibes Copper Forte
Remo MasterEdge Bop, Gold Crown, Mondo
Slingerland Conway Black Satin
70's MIJ Del Ray, my first and fav ok I'm lying here
Way Too Many Snares, She Says
Posted on 1 year ago

Agree- without a riser my beater was too high and 'felt off' to play- a riser (to me) is the best way to go with an 18- allowing for better beater placement.

Posted on 1 year ago

I use a Gibraltar riser on both front and rear hoop of a converted Rogers floor tom. Takes some of the pressure off the spurs as well.

1 attachments
Posted on 1 year ago

I have played an 18" bass drum on my home made jazz kit for 40+ years and never used a riser. I recommend using a bass drum pedal that has easy to adjust beater height and footboard angle. My current favorite pedal is the new Tama Classic model that sells for around $100. I do understand about having the front of the bass drum off of the floor an inch or two. If you can't do that with your spurs, then get one the old school anchors. My bass drum is a converted Yamaha floor tom from the 1980's with Stern brand calf heads and no muffling. Good luck.

Posted on 1 year ago

Never a riser for me with an 18" in jazz settings. The fact that the beater hits high on the drum (and the tuning) is part of the allure for a bop sound. If you are trying to use it for a rock sound, perhaps the riser will help. I never needed nor wanted that sound from an 18. I have other drums for that!

Mike B

Posted on 1 year ago
Action Another action Something else here