Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 130.06263%

16" Gretsch Floor Tom to Bass Drum conversion

I finally finished my 16" x 16" Gretsch Round Badge Floor Tom to 16" x 14" Bass Drum conversion project with the help of Jack Lawton. It really came out great and now I have matching 16", 18" & 20" bass drums with my Round Badge kit.

The floor tom was previously re-wrapped, repainted in the interior, and had an extra hole drilled for an air vent so I didn't feel guilty about cutting the shell down and converting into a bass drum. I was torn between a 16' x 12" and 16" x 14" but finally decided to go for the added depth of the 14".

With the limited availability of the old-style Champagne Sparkle wrap, I ended up ordering a single 24" x 54" sheet of the material directly from Delmar Products and had it sent to Jack's shop in Sunbury, PA. In addition, I had 16" bass drum hoops prepared for me (with the 13/16" channel) and sent to Jack who painted it and installed the wrap. It was a hassle, but well worth it in the end.

Posted on 10 years ago

Second last pic is pretty sweet...if you hadda gone 12, they wouldn't look as good lined up like that ;)

This happens to be exactly what I'm interested in right now, so thanks!...and now you must provide an amazing quality sound file or better yet an equally amazing clip.

Mitch

Posted on 10 years ago

Very very nice, it looks great, as well as the other's. Bet it has a nice punch to it.

Posted on 10 years ago

Great Job! I just pray Steve Maxwell doesn't find out that Gretsch made a special order 14" bass drum back in the day...Coffee Break2

Never play it the same way once.
Posted on 10 years ago

So Delmar still makes, or has the old style Champagne sparkle wrap. Are they still making it , or is it new old stock ? What does a sheet like that set you back?

Posted on 10 years ago

Yes, Delmar Products still makes original Champagne Sparkle wrap since the larger drum companies continue to buy enough of the product to make it worthwhile for the company to manufacture. For example, Gretsch uses the wrap on their Gretsch USA line of drums. The Gretsch Catalina line uses the cheaper version of Champagne Sparkle.

But, with a single sheet of original Champagne Sparkle wrap selling for $225 (along with a minimum number of sheets required per order), the smaller shops like Precision Drum, Lawton Drums, etc. get priced out of the market. Luckily, Don Mulligan at Delmar was kind enough to allow me to purchase a single sheet of the wrap to finish my project.

Posted on 10 years ago
Action Another action Something else here