Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 130.46347%

15x12 Vintage Marching Snare Mystery

Bought this from a guy off craigslist for 35 bucks. Not sure what brand or anything. Inside looks ok, one of the plys is trying seperate but i think it's fixable. Any ideas on the brand or fixing the ply problem?

Thanks,

Alex Fraley

oh and it's my first post so yeah...

Posted on 12 years ago

Looks like a MIJ knock-off. Think of it as buying the case for $35, and getting a free drum.

Posted on 12 years ago

From alexfraley

Bought this from a guy off craigslist for 35 bucks. Not sure what brand or anything. Inside looks ok, one of the plys is trying seperate but i think it's fixable. Any ideas on the brand or fixing the ply problem? Thanks, Alex Fraleyoh and it's my first post so yeah...

Hi...Welcome to this great fourm.Now onto your snare drum its a M.I.J. drum But put together and sold by West Coast Drums in Santa ana ,ca sometime from 1972-76.It was sold under the name of American Custom drums the shell is a 5 ply with out rings or a 6 ply with rings.The strainer is a somewhat copy of the Gretsch Lighting strainer..Lugs are somewhat copys of a cross of rogers and Slingerland.Mikey

Posted on 12 years ago

From tubelugs

Looks like a MIJ knock-off. Think of it as buying the case for $35, and getting a free drum.

Oh that case didn't come with it, that's just what i carry my other snare around in. So it's not worth the 35? is it worth repairing? oh and should i re-wrap it or just leave it be?

Posted on 12 years ago

From MIKEY777

Hi...Welcome to this great fourm.Now onto your snare drum its a M.I.J. drum But put together and sold by West Coast Drums in Santa ana ,ca sometime from 1972-76.It was sold under the name of American Custom drums the shell is a 5 ply with out rings or a 6 ply with rings.The strainer is a somewhat copy of the Gretsch Lighting strainer..Lugs are somewhat copys of a cross of rogers and Slingerland.Mikey

So is it any good?

Posted on 12 years ago

Basicly the next step up the ladder from a toy drum.

Steve B

Posted on 12 years ago

well dang. Anybody know how much it would be worth if i polished the chrome and cleaned the wrap? it sounds pretty good.

Posted on 12 years ago

$60 to $75. tops to a guy who wants one. If it was a brand name USA made drum from the same period, it would probably bring twice as much. But MIJ... take what you can get and don't sink another penny into it.

Advertise it as a good floor tom candidate. 12 x 15 conversions are common and popular. You may attract a few more interested parties that way. Best of luck.

A word to the wise is sufficient...

John

Too many great drums to list here!

http://www.walbergandauge.com/VintageVenue.htm
Posted on 12 years ago

Alright, cool. Can any explain to me what this MIJ, WFL, etc. stuff is?

Or possibly some links explaining it?

Posted on 12 years ago

From alexfraley

Oh that case didn't come with it, that's just what i carry my other snare around in. So it's not worth the 35? is it worth repairing? oh and should i re-wrap it or just leave it be?

Yes the snare is worth what you paid for it.To re-sell the drum clean it up you may get from 50.00-60.00 for the drum..Mikey

Posted on 12 years ago
Action Another action Something else here