Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 130.86430%

15" Ludwig Snare?

I know that Ludwig made some 15" Jass Fest like snares - correct me if I'm wrong. If these do exist, does anyone have one and how do they sound? I have a 15" marching snare shell with hoops and I'm wondering if it would be worth cutting down to make a useable kit snare. I do have a source for 15" heads, so that's not an issue. Any opinions on this?

Posted on 12 years ago

I have an 8x15 concert snare from 1964. It is a pretty cool piece but not all that versatile. From a kit standpoint it is better suited for lower, sloppy tunings. Part of the issue with it is that the bearing edge on the batter is not level and have not had the heart to recut it yet so this may not be a good representation of what the drum can do. I like having it around though.

Make sure you have access to a snare stand with a basket that will open wide enough to accommodate it. Some will not open that wide.

tnsquint
Very proud owner of a new Blaemire Snare 6.5 x 14 made by Jerry Jenkins "Drumjinx"
Posted on 12 years ago
Action Another action Something else here