Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 130.06263%

14x14 Slingerland Floor Tom

Hi guys,

Began a refinish on a 14x14 Slingerland floor tom I picked up off ebay recently. It came to me with what I believe are Tama leg mounts, legs, and rims. Someone also installed a mount for a tom holder. The extra legs and mounts left a number of holes in the shell that need to be plugged. The outer shell has been stained a rich brown color and the interior has been poorly spray painted black (over a horrid brown paint color). What is with people spray painting the interior of drums anyway? The drum came with original Slingerland lugs, tension rods, and muffler. This is a mid 60's 3 ply tom (i think mahogany, poplar, mahogany, but Ill know more after stripping paint). There appears to be a hole for a badge.

My plan here is to plug all the extra holes, strip the inner and outer shells of paint, add the correct hardware, and re-wrap with a shade of WMP from drumaker.com to finish a late 50-60's Slingerland 20-12-14 outfit.

Here are some before pictures. Ill add more as I progress. This one should be fun!

James

“It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent; it is the one most adaptable to change.” - Charles Darwin
Posted on 11 years ago

Very nice James will be fun to watch. Man that painted inside hurts to see but sure you'll take good care of it.

Glenn.

Not a guru just havin fun with some old dusty drums.
Posted on 11 years ago

Oh cool! Fun little project there. I am wanting to do the same thing, adding a 14 to my set. Let us know how this goes.

Thank you!
Jeff C

"Enjoy every sandwich" Warren Zevon
Posted on 11 years ago

Will do guys. I'm hoping to begin stripping the paint this weekend, weather and wife permitting :)

James

“It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent; it is the one most adaptable to change.” - Charles Darwin
Posted on 11 years ago

That will be a great looking drum in no time. Hardware should polish up just fine.

My 20" bass drum interior was abused with red brush on paint then black rattle can.

I'm having the best luck with tools in the attached pic. RK is pic two.

Takes some time. Thin coats works better than a thick coat.

Hope it goes well.

Creighton

2 attachments
Nothing special here but I like them.
Posted on 11 years ago

Can't wait to see the progress. Man what is it with people painting the interior black always!!???

1960-61 ludwig sky blue pearl 22/16/12
1967 ludwig acrolite snare
1972 ludwig vistalite clear 22/14/13/14 matching snare
1970's MIJ tempro pro snare
Posted on 11 years ago

>>people painting the interior black always!

Right after tossing into the trash the lower lugs/rim and hardware interiors were spray can painted black.

The early 70's "style" decimated a bunch of vintage drums.

Best we can do is fix them if possible.

Creighton

Posted on 11 years ago

Thanks for posting pics of those tools Creighton! I have a few of those but will probably pick some others up as well. What paint stripper do you use?

James

Posted on 11 years ago

Creighton, excellent job on the RK bass shell so far. Very tedious job but amazing results. Great save on that bass drum. I know there was a lot more than just paint removal~!

Glenn.

Not a guru just havin fun with some old dusty drums.
Posted on 11 years ago

Thanks!

>>What paint stripper do you use?

Tried them all doing my 64 Serro Scotty camping trailer. 6 coats of paint on that :-(.

Klean-Strip KS-3 Premium Stripper is best. Very nasty stuff though. Goggles and chemical gloves a must.

Keep a spray bottle of water handy if you get some on your skin. If it gets on your clothes soak the area and change right away. Don't worry you will know it when it gets on you. Burns like hell.

Creighton

Posted on 11 years ago
Action Another action Something else here