Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.26096%

14 inch Pearl Fat Tone hoops for snare drum

I am looking for a pair of 14", 10 hole Pearl Fat Tone hoops, for snare drum, snare and batter side, preferably new, but as long as they are perfectly round and flat I am ok with used.

Price including shipping to me in Sweden.

/Magnus

Posted on 5 years ago

Hi Magnus!

The Fat Tone hoops are just a beautiful hoop! For snare drums, you won't get the type of rim shot or cross-sticking sound you would get from 2.3mm or die cast hoops, so keep that in mind. I ordered a set for my custom painted Pearl kit, but ended up using them on my 1994 Slingerland HSS kit, wrapped in a "Spirit of America" motif.

I got my hoops from Interstate Music (Cascio) and they do ship overseas. You might want to consider ordering from them, as finding them used might be tough. Yes, they are pricey, but worth it! Good luck!

Here's the link to see them at Interstate Music... https://www.interstatemusic.com/Categories/827-Drums-And-Percussion-Drum-Hardware-and-Parts-PEARL.aspx/1/80000010%5ePEARL%2c%2380000041%5efat%2520tone

-Mark

3 attachments
Posted on 5 years ago

Hi Mark,

Thanks for the tumbs up on the Fat Tones. And thanks for pointing me to Interstate Music. I am aware that my only option seems to be to import from the US. However, customs and other charges would make these already pricey hoops even less affordable. So I will keep trying to source them either new from within the EU, or used.

The strange thing is that noone in the EU seems to be carrying these hoops for immediate delivery. I have got quotes for delivery within EU in from 1 to 2 months. I just can't understand why the European distribution of Pearl's more than excellent drum hardware (except for stands, of course!) is so poor.

Beautiful kit, BTW, thanks for sharing! I intend to put Fat Tones on a 14x6.5 Ludwig Hammered Bronze Supra. It currently has the original 1.6 mm hoops, but I am not sure that they are in-round or even flat. It's an 1980's drum which I bought used some years ago. The shell was out of round but I have had it fixed now, so I am kind of eager to try new hoops on it.

Best,

Magnus

Posted on 5 years ago

Hi Magnus!

It does seem odd that Pearl doesn't make the Fat Tone hoops available in the EU! I didn't think about customs and other charges, so, yes, it wouldn't be financially viable to get them from the US.

It should be easy to check if your original hoops are flat and in-round. Honestly, for a Supra, you might want to go with a nice set of 2.3mm triple-flanged hoops. Gibraltar makes some of the best 2.3mm aftermarket hoops. Are they available in the EU?

Mark

Posted on 5 years ago

Hi Mark,

THanks for suggesting 2.3 mm hoops. Yes, Gibraltar are readily available here. I have a hunch, though, that the Fat Tones will be more in line with what I want to achieve. I have checked the hoops and I believe that they are flat and round, but at least the batter hoop has a big indentation on the upper flange, which is either damage or a function that is unknown to me.

I may look into 2.3 mm though, since I don't really think that the 1.6 mm hoops do the shell any favours.

I got a p&p quote from Interstate Music, and ordering from the US is not an option. I have been in touch with Pearl Europe and according to them, "there might be some waiting time on this product". So it does seem to me very much as if Pearl's European distribution honestly and seriously sucks, at least compared to the US.

Anyway, I will keep you posted on developments.

Best,

Magnus

Posted on 5 years ago

Mark, just to let you know: I got a pair of Gibraltar 2.3 mm hoops today. They were really affordable, too. And I just put them on the drum and tuned it up. And now she sings! I guess the old hoops were too flimsy for my taste, but I am pretty sure they were shot too.

This drum now sounds as good as it is expensive...

Thanks for all your kind help!

All the best,

Magnus

Posted on 5 years ago

Hi Magnus! Excellent news about the Gibraltar 2.3 mm hoops and that your are happy with them! Glad I was able to help with all this. Enjoy your Supraphonic!

-Mark

Posted on 5 years ago
Action Another action Something else here