Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 130.26305%

14 clubdate floor tom

I have just picked up a 14" club date floor tom. somebody had changed it into a marching snare. it was recovered and has the extra holes for the snare and leg mount. I have removed the covering (it was hanging off anyway) and redone the bearing edge where the guy had cut snare beds. I have a 67 Ludwig kit with classic lugs, which is my players kit and I recovered that in white cortex. I wish to add the club date floor to the kit so it will get recovered. My question is, should I leave the club date lugs on or should I replace them with classic lugs?. the club date lugs are in good shape, no rust etc. the leg brackets I will get new from my local shop, I already have a set of Ludwig legs

Posted on 10 years ago

I would leave it as a clubdate.

Thank you!
Jeff C

"Enjoy every sandwich" Warren Zevon
Posted on 10 years ago

I would restore it as a clubdate as well.

Posted on 10 years ago

What? You want to create more work for yourself, and the result will not be any better. Cubdate's look cool, and really, a floor tom doesn't need anything else mucking it up. There are limits to what floor toms do in general, especially a 14x14. Your head selection is going to be the predominant variable. Oh, and the rubber feet make a big difference too. This may sound funny, but to keep the vintage rubber feet and increase resonance, I rubber glued the feet so that they were about half way onto the leg leaving an air gap, and don't hang a stick bag on it. Call me crazy, but I think that this makes a positive difference in its resonance. Especially for a 14x14.

Posted on 10 years ago

so its 3 to zero

thanks guys it will stay as a club date, the lugs will match my acro.

it was in really bad shape but it looks a lot better now, the shell is finished as far as filling in all the extra holes and all I have to do with the shell is sand it and redrill the leg braket holes. I can still see where that are so no prob.

then rewrap it, put it with the kit ans away I go

thanks again

Posted on 10 years ago

Good thing you asked first! lol!

Thank you!
Jeff C

"Enjoy every sandwich" Warren Zevon
Posted on 10 years ago

i understand the delicateness of tuning a 14 the tone and volume is crucial to performance im trying different heads to find a nice sound so far i like whats going on different than a down beat i had im saying almost more resonance ...

April 2nd 1969 scarfed pink champagne holly wood and 65/66 downbeat snare, and , supra same year very minty kit old pies
66/67 downbeat with canister
Super 400 small round knob
1967 super classic obp

once the brass ceases to glitter, and the drum looses its luster, and the stage remains dark, all you have left is the timbre of family.
Posted on 10 years ago
Action Another action Something else here