Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.06054%

13" snare to rack tom project

I'm finally working on what I think will be the last drum for my very vintage Ludwig drum kit. I have previously shared photos of my 30's / 40's 6-1/2 x 14 Elkhart snare drum, my 14 x 28 Pioneer bass drum, and my last project a 12 x 15 snare drum that I converted into a floor tom.

My current project is a 1965 9 x 13 Cub model snare drum that will be converted into the rack tom for the kit. Yes, it is one of my newer drums (except for my Roland electric kit) I did the sanding today and it came out pretty well given the thinness of the mahogany veneer. There are a couple of places where the veneer was damaged and gone when I got the drum.

My question to those who care to voice an opinion is whether I should replace the keystone badge with a oval Ludwig & Ludwig Chicago badge. Would this be heresy? Or since I have these drums for my own enjoyment, does it really matter. I would love to hear from you.

I will post some photos of all of my drums and then progress photos on the 9 x 13 for your enjoyment.

Thanks for reading.

Jim

Posted on 5 years ago

Here are photos of the 9 x 13 future rack tom that is the subject of this thread.

Thanks

Posted on 5 years ago

Here is a photo of the trial fit on the bass drum. I was lucky enough to find a really nice Ludwig tom mount on eBay that is perfect for this project.

1 attachments
Posted on 5 years ago

Here are a couple of better photos of my 6-1/2 by 14 Elkhart snare.

Posted on 5 years ago

Jim - What a great looking kit !! I've always wanted a vintage wood Ludwig 4 piece kit like this but have never got around to put one together. Very cool with tons of mojo ! Looking forward to the final finished pics.

Enjoy ! Doug

Posted on 5 years ago

Thanks Doug,

Any thoughts on changing the badge?

Posted on 5 years ago

Hi Jim,

If it was my project I'd leave as is - that's what the drum was born with.

Change it if you want ... doesn't really matter ..... but it's your project and what makes you feel best it is all that really matters.

My 2 cents worth

Doug

Posted on 5 years ago

Hi Doug,

Thanks, I think I’m leaning that way as well. Besides, it will save me close to $100 given the price of the badge, grommet, and grommet tool.

Posted on 5 years ago

Yes and that 100 bucks may be enough to get you started on a new project/adventure ! lol

Posted on 5 years ago
Action Another action Something else here