Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.06054%

13" snare to rack tom project

Here is the screen shot from the 1964 catalogue showing this Cub Model snare drum. The serial number puts this drum in 1965 so compared to my other drums it's quite new and the same age as the kit that I usually play (1965 black diamond pearl super classic.

I'm also attaching a couple of photos that show the as received condition.

If anyone has suggestions on repairing veneer, that would be helpful and appreciated. I'm also concerned about sanding this drum because the veneer is so thin.

More later when I start the project.

3 attachments
Posted on 5 years ago

Well that is a tough one. I dont see patching the veneer looking too good so my first thought would be to remove the hardware, lightly sand the shell with some 320, then fill the cracks with a wood filler and try to stain the filler so it matches ( easier said than done). Then apply a new coat of varnish or lacquer over the entire shell. Did those old drums have varnish or lacquer, Im not sure so it would be wise to test out what ever you are using in an inconspicuous area. And this sounds like a halfass way of fixing it but its all I can think of at the moment, if I think of something better I will let you know. Maybe someone has a better idea and will chime in. Good luck, please post your results.

Thank you!
Jeff C

"Enjoy every sandwich" Warren Zevon
Posted on 5 years ago

If the cracks are not to wide, a colored putty would work better than wood filler. You can mix a couple colors together to match the stain.

https://www.acehardware.com/departments/paint-and-supplies/patch-and-repair/wood-filler/10777?x429=true&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIvqSBkbqN3gIVCQ9pCh0acQFTEAQYAyABEgIxUvD_BwE

Thank you!
Jeff C

"Enjoy every sandwich" Warren Zevon
Posted on 5 years ago

Jeff,

Thanks for the help. The veneer is also peeling away from the shell near the strainer and wear the center supports are, the veneer is indented. I think it has some kind of clear coat on it because there is a bit of a shine on the finish. I think your suggestion of lightly sanding makes sense then I’ll try a work with filler to even it out.

Jim

Posted on 5 years ago

I didn’t look hard enough for this old thread so I started a new on yesterday. I do need to explore a putty or filler solution because the sanding opened up the cracked peeling veneer issue quite a bit.

Posted on 5 years ago

Maybe a wrap or thin veneer would refresh that shell

Cobalt Blue Yamaha Recording Custom 20b-22b-8-10-12-13-15-16f-18f
Red Ripple '70's Yamaha D-20 20b-12-14f
Piano Black Yamaha Recording Custom Be-Bop kit 18b-10-14f
Snares:
Yamaha COS SDM5; Yamaha Cobalt Blue RC 5-1/2x14; Gretsch round badge WMP; 1972 Ludwig Acrolite; 1978 Ludwig Super Sensitive; Cobalt Blue one-off Montineri; Yamaha Musashi 6.5X13 Oak; cheap 3.5X13 brass piccolo
Posted on 5 years ago

Thanks J!m,

Except for that one spot the veneer is in good shape. I’m thinking about some kind of filler or putty.

Posted on 5 years ago

I’m trying something out to patch the area that lost it veneer. I found some iron on mahogany veneer so I trimmed away some more of the damaged area to allow the new veneer be level with the existing veneer. I hope it works. It comes in a 25 foot role so I’ll probably have 24-1/2 feet left over. Wish me luck.

Posted on 5 years ago

Here is the veneer patch after ironing it on to the drum. I’ll let it sit for a while then try to carefully start sanding it.

Posted on 5 years ago

Mixed results after some sanding. I think I’ll try and find some stainable putty to blend in the repair then start the staining process.

Posted on 5 years ago
Action Another action Something else here