Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 130.46347%

12 & 13" Fibes Toms, are these fivel finish?

Hi, first post, been trawling on here for a while though...

So I bought a couple of these toms to augment a Fibes kit I bought a while back. Got them cheap thinking they were already stripped back to Fibreglass. But, when I pick them up they appear to be a black velvet finish. The finish is solid but has a few rips here and there. Should I keep the finish or strip it back to fb and re-cover to match the rest of the kit?

Its not shown in the photos but the original mounts are there minus the ball etc and some other mount (maybe Ludwig) has been added as per usual...

3 attachments
Posted on 11 years ago

Those are Fivel toms and as such, they aren't wrapped - they are flocked. Basically they are spread with glue and then a sort of powdered lint (flocking) is sprayed on. That's a tough finish and I don't know how you would remove it.

Posted on 11 years ago

Hmmm I think I'll leave them as is for the time being then. Maybe one day the rest of the kit will turn up. There can't be too many Fibes Kits here in NZ...

Got some new skins on the 12" and it sounds mean, guess I'll get the 13" tidied up and sell it.

Posted on 11 years ago
Action Another action Something else here