Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.06054%

10x14 Ludwig marcher advice needed

Hi all, I recently picked up a early-mid 70s 3-ply ludwig marching snare. It's a 10x14 with small classic lugs. Unfortunately it has a few extra holes and the 10in depth is a bit too much for me. I'm thinking about either cutting it down to a 6.5 "symphonic" copy, cutting it down to a "Jazz festival" copy, or filling the holes and making it a 10x14 rack tom. Thoughts and suggestions appreciated!

Posted on 6 years ago

It's your drum, feel free to do whatever you like.

You could also use it as a shallow floor tom with legs too. If you put the brackets as far down as possible on the shell (without interfering with the hoop/head) and use those Pearl Air Suspension Tips on the legs you should be able to get enough height and adjustability.

Posted on 6 years ago

With the mini lugs, everyone will know it was originally marcher if you make it a tom.

The 6.5x14 school festival/symphonic is a great addition to any snare collection. It really depends on what you already have for snares.

If you don't have a jazz festival and don't want to spend a fortune that would be your best bet.

I have a 5 ply 10x14 concert tom from a set of marching trios that is possibly headed the same way.

I like Drums...
1963 Ludwig Downbeat Champagne Sparkle
1964 Leedy (Slingerland) Blue n Silver Duco
1964 Ludwig Club Date Sparkling Silver Pearl
1966 Ludwig Super Classic Sparkling Silver Pearl
1968 Gretsch round badge modern jazz orange stain
1972 Slingerland 85N Pop outfit Light Blue Pearl
1976 Ludwig Vistalite clear
1981 Gretsch SSB Gran Prix Rosewood
1987 Yamaha Turbo Tour Custom Mellow Yellow
1991 Pearl Export Ferrari Red
Posted on 6 years ago