Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.25470%

$10 Pearl Kit. Identification Please

I know nothing about Pearl but I thought I'd take a chance on these. They were literally $10. I don't know why, but I didn't argue. Does anyone know anything about these?

What makes this even weirder is, they are pretty mint. They don't seem to have been played much. Aside from some scuffs and heavy dust they look great.

Everything is accounted for except a double tom mount. The tom mount on the bass is original. No extra holes anywhere. Interiors are clean and factory flat grey. Bearing edges are decent but painted so no one has touched them. I sanded about an inch clean and it looks to be 6 or 7 ply. Mahogany but not too porous with vertical grain. Pretty nice build overall.

20x16

16x16

13x9

12x8

Not the most flashy kit but at that price a nice re-wrap is possible. Thanks in advance for any info on the kit.

Posted on 7 years ago

I'm no help, but that's a sweet kit at a great price. I think that the 70s Pearls had plastic badges and not stickers, but I'm not sure.

My guess is early 80s on your Pearl due to it being made in ROC and the newer tube-mount hardware. I'm sure there's a brochure to compare it with on the vintage drum guide.

Posted on 7 years ago

These badges are metal with brad nails. Some of the corners are snapped off.

I forgot to mention all the tom mufflers are there and look brand new.

It will need new heads because some toddlers used the coated heads as art canvas. Covered in crayon! And there are tiny glow-in-the-dark star stickers all over it.

I don't know if the T rods help.

Posted on 7 years ago

You took a chance and won. For $10, that is a dream deal. Congrats ! No matter what, they can be a players kit or re-wrap. Nice catch !

No Guru - I just love collecting & learning about vintage drums!

Some of my favorites from the kits in the collection
58 WFL New Yorker Blue Sparkle
67 Ludwig Hollywood Red Psychedelic
69 Ludwig Standard Red Ruby Strata
70's Ludwig BOP "Ringo" Kit

A few of my favorite snares
20's Leedy Black Elite
51 Leedy & Ludwig Knob Tension
58 WFL Buddy Rich Classic Blue Sparkle
63 Walberg & Auge Sea Blue Agave Green Pearl
66 Leedy Shelly Manne Blue Agate Pearl
Posted on 7 years ago

That is what i call a deal. Even if it had no name its a great catch in my books. It does look like an early 80's pearl export to me. A good clean re cut edges if needed i bet that kit will sound great. All the best from the UK class deal and find. Check out www.drumarchive.com go to pearl and im sure through early 80's catalogues you will get model of kit and info.

Posted on 7 years ago

I would think by that time - most BDs were the seemingly "standard" 22in. So, this little 20 is a great find! Looks to be in great condition.

True up the edges, (I would not be afraid to recut considering that this is not vinty) and tune the heads to the shells and I bet it will sound great!

I had a great day! Instead of sleeping in and wasting the day, I got up at 8 and I had all my slacking done by noon!

2Timothy1:7
Posted on 7 years ago

Those are the predecessors to the Export line. Made soon after the switch from hex rod mounts to 7/8" tube. The Pearl branded version of "Maxwin" drums. I LOVE $10 drums!

Posted on 7 years ago

Your kit appears to be the W-9 kit Pearl offered in the late 70's and into the first year or two of the 80's. Identical to Maxwin, CB700, etc., stencil kits, 9-ply mahogany forerunner of the Export Series.

Posted on 7 years ago

We all love $10 drums! The holder on the bass drum threw me at first. Turns out it's the model 727T, which can be found in this catalog... [ame="http://pearldrum.com/support/product-catalogs/1980-general-catalog.pdf"]http://pearldrum.com/support/product-catalogs/1980-general-catalog.pdf[/ame]

As to the bass drum, to me, it does look like it may be a 22". Although listed as a 16" depth, it is most likely 14".

-Mark

Posted on 7 years ago

WOW surfcollector

those are nice drums especially for only $10.00

all your heads and hoops in place the interiors must be nice and clean

some easy to find hardware and you have a three or four hundred dollar drum kit there

YOU SCORED!!!..good luck with them

Posted on 7 years ago
Action Another action Something else here