Vintage Drum Forum the best vintage drum forum on the Internet - Vintage Drum History - Vintage Drum Questions

Go Back   Vintage Drum Forum > Restoring Vintage Drums

Old 03-15-2014, 09:39 PM

Default Premier 303 Grey Shimmer

Hi Everyone,

I've recently acquired a Premier 303 kit in Grey Shimmer from a family friend who passed away. I've always been more of a Rogers fan, but this kit has some history and I'm looking to try to restore it to it's former glory.

It's in rough shape. All that's left is the bass drum and one of the rack toms. Looks like one of the tom mounts in the bass drum cracked so he added a Ludwig tom mount and spurs. The chrome is fairly pitted.

My biggest issue is the wrap. I absolutely love the grey shimmer, but it's a mess. I cleaned up the tom as well as I could but the bass drum is pretty bad. It's all cracked and bubbling.

In reading through the forums, I've come up dry. Based on what I've read, rewrapping these is not an option unfortunately. Does anyone have any ideas on how to clean what's there and prevent it from getting worse?

I'm attaching a pic of what the bass drum looks like today as well as a pic of the kit in use in 1970...

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

John
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 2.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	102.9 KB
ID:	68068   Click image for larger version

Name:	7299_583139995041871_1037991749_n.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	76.1 KB
ID:	68069  
Old 03-15-2014, 10:34 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Default Re: Premier 303 Grey Shimmer

I LOVE grey and blue shimmer. I am not much help on how to repair these, but I do wish you the best of luck with those.
Old 03-16-2014, 11:10 AM
Vintage Drum Guru

Grey is one of my favorite colors ..must be because I see so much of it in the sky here :-( ....,but I have seen GS a few times in pics...never in person,but I think I like the blue better..

Had a messed up 13" recently in blue...and the finish looked really nice!

They show a 2001 model wood snare in that finish in a catalogue...and it looks amazing!

Can't help with your question...can't get that finish anymore...so don't know what to tell you....
Old 03-16-2014, 04:46 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

I suppose the only thing you can do is to slowly work some glue a section at a time and easing the wrap back into position. Once done you could probably touch up the remaining cracks with some model paint. This would be a pretty mediocre repair at best but if you tried one section, you may find that it works for you.

I think Blue Shimmer and Grey Shimmer were some fantastically classy finishes. This catalogue photo occupied quite a lot of my daydreaming time as a teenager. The finish and the LokFast stands were spectacular. The throne....not so much.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1968_premier_drumsets2.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	117.1 KB
ID:	68107  
Old 03-16-2014, 05:11 PM

Thanks. That's actually the course I was heading in. I'd love to do a full restore but without that wrap, it's a lost cause. Thinking trying to glue down what I can and maybe try to seal over it...
Old 03-18-2014, 05:06 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

There's been a grey shimmer on ebay for awhile now. Decent price $549 Buy it Now.

Love the wrap.