Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 114.83090%

Seen these? Gretsch RB - Pin Holes in wrap near edge for each lug

Has anyone seen these little holes in the wrap of a Round Badge Gretsch kit bass drum before?

If so, any idea what they are for or from? Was this part of a drill press operation at the factory?

They are like large pinholes centered a half inch from the edge for each bass lug on this kit which is 22 x 12" not 14 so already a bit of a mystery.

Thoughts?

Posted on 9 years ago

Post pics for the forum to see. I have both 50's and 60's round badge kits. I have no such holes as you have mentioned ?

Your drummers not much good is he!? What you need is someone that's as good as me. ! John Henry Bonham !!
Posted on 9 years ago

Photos didn't load earlier. Here are a couple

Exactly, I have about 5 Gretsch round badge at the house at this time and none have these but I recall a guy talking about something similar on a cocktail conversion project he did but not sure. This is definitely a Gretsch and part of a 22, 13, 14 kit.

Posted on 9 years ago

This wasn't on a Gretsch but simliar to an unexplained pin hole in the pearl only. It was on the following Rogers in rare blue ripple beavertail snare drum. I first thought that it was the end of the roll and staple marks being at the last piece on the roll. But nope.

They weren't rolled first of all. Second they were consistent all around the drum. Under each lug and around the top and bottom edges only. None in the middle. Chalked it up to just a factory thing. It was very odd to see though and not able to explain it.

1 attachments
Posted on 9 years ago

From Gaskeg

Photos didn't load earlier. Here are a coupleExactly, I have about 5 Gretsch round badge at the house at this time and none have these but I recall a guy talking about something similar on a cocktail conversion project he did but not sure.. This is definitely a Gretsch and part of a 22, 13, 14 kit.

Nope haven't seen that on any gretsch I've had at this time thus far.

Your drummers not much good is he!? What you need is someone that's as good as me. ! John Henry Bonham !!
Posted on 9 years ago

My 50's 3 ply has those pinholes slightly less than 1/4" from the bearing edge and perfectly aligned with the lug holes. I always assumed that they were from an alignment jig that was set up to hold the drum during the drilling of lugs and mounts. If the drum had a tacked on head, then you will also see pinholes for the tacks, but those were more randomly distributed, a little larger, and further from the bearing edge. The non-gretsch blue ripple shell shown above looks to have random pinholes from some misfortunate handling.

Posted on 9 years ago

Could these be holes for the Pratt muffle strip?

Posted on 9 years ago

pic of a Gretsch muffler

1 attachments
Posted on 9 years ago

Two Pratts on a single bass...Don't see too many like that. I have a bass shell that has holes for two Pratts on batter and res, but they are not on the same side, like on a tom, they are on alternate sides.

Anyway, no. These pinholes are not for the Pratt. The top photo shows a tom, and mine are also on 12" tom, 14" tom, and 18" bass.

I still think it is from some jig.

Posted on 9 years ago

I'm wondering if those holes are intended to prevent buckling of the wrap. Maybe the factory was experimenting to find out if doing that--especilly under the lugs--could prevent buckling that was frequently accociated with some wraps like the ripples or pearls.

No matter how far you push the envelope, it is still stationery.
Posted on 9 years ago
Action Another action Something else here