Old 08-15-2010, 09:05 PM

Default are these vintage gretsch drums? how can i tell?
First Post

so today i went into my local music store to try to sell my 5 piece drum set.
This drum set has a sparkle blue finish.
Heres the problem: while i was in the store waiting for some guy to help me evaluate them, another employee came up to me and told me that my drums looked like vintage Gretsch drums, and they could possibly be worth a lot of money.

The drum set has no Gretsch badge of any sort, or stamps. In fact, it has no badges or markings at all. Its like its a random blank set with a sparkle blue finish...but this employee was dead set on buying them from me because they looked like Gretsch.

How can i tell if my sparkle blue drum set is a vintage Gretsch?
Steps i can take?

Thanks
Old 08-15-2010, 09:44 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Send a message via Yahoo to jonnistix
Default Re: are these vintage gretsch drums? how can i tell?
! Well, first of all, let's see the drums! Post some pictures of them, exteriors, lugs, and some interiors. showing any paper tags, that sort of thing. Wirhout pix, we can't tell anything!
"I enjoy restoring 60s Japanese "stencil" drums...I can actually afford them..."I rescue the worst of the old valueless drums for disadvantaged Children and gladly accept donations of parts, pieces and orphans, No cockroaches, please...
http://www.youtube.com/user/karstenboy
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Coffee...16613138379603
Old 08-15-2010, 11:08 PM

They are sparkle blue.

The floor tom and snare have a plain wood interior, but the other two toms and the base drum have a silver interior...
Attached Images

Old 08-15-2010, 11:33 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

The silver interiors are a hint that the drums might be Gretsch, or that somebody painted them to look like Gretsch.

The pictures you posted, at least in my browsers, show up really small. I can't tell anything from them. Can you post bigger ones? I'd suggest a minimum resolution (size) of at least 640x480.
Old 08-15-2010, 11:43 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Send a message via Yahoo to jonnistix
Yes, please repost the pix larger. My first impression of the lugs on the floor tom say they may be MIJ...Star Drums, later to become TAMA, used the silver-grey paint as well and many people that really don't know what they are looking at can be decieved by the paint alone because they heard that only Gretsch used the "silver sealer" paint...Just because he works in a drum shop doen't make him an expert. GC inparticular has some real winners in the drum shop.
"I enjoy restoring 60s Japanese "stencil" drums...I can actually afford them..."I rescue the worst of the old valueless drums for disadvantaged Children and gladly accept donations of parts, pieces and orphans, No cockroaches, please...
http://www.youtube.com/user/karstenboy
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Coffee...16613138379603
Old 08-16-2010, 02:37 AM
Vintage Drum Guru

I would say your set is not a Gretsch set,in photo three the tom mount is a M.I.J. 60s mount,iam with jonni on this star or some other name 1960s M.I.J. set..Mikey
Old 08-17-2010, 06:32 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnistix View Post
Yes, please repost the pix larger. My first impression of the lugs on the floor tom say they may be MIJ...Star Drums, later to become TAMA, used the silver-grey paint as well and many people that really don't know what they are looking at can be decieved by the paint alone because they heard that only Gretsch used the "silver sealer" paint...Just because he works in a drum shop doen't make him an expert. GC inparticular has some real winners in the drum shop.
GC and the 'experts' in the drum room. I still claim that ALL of the 'drum experts' I've met at Guitar Center are confident that most drums are round... and that would be the extent of their knowledge. Why do you think they call it Guitar Center?

My Royal Star has the same interior paint. Hard too date, but I assume very, very late 60's.
Old 08-17-2010, 09:43 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Very old and rare...................
Gulliver Percussion drums, model " LLL " ...... often referred to as the "Triple Lilli" .
Fell out of favor due to the era's inability to produce a high quality toothpick-sized drum stick.
Old 08-18-2010, 04:57 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

From your pictures there is insufficient info for me to be able to determine anything other than that they are blue sparkle drums.