Vintage Drum Forum the best vintage drum forum on the Internet - Vintage Drum History - Vintage Drum Questions

Go Back   Vintage Drum Forum > General Drum Questions

Old 05-31-2021, 01:41 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Default Sun Protection

Hello friends I was just wondering if there is a product you can get for your drum room window to protect your drum sets from harmful sunlight that will fade your wrap?

Thankful for all or any info!

Curtis
Old 05-31-2021, 03:09 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Default Re: Sun Protection

Hi Curtis!

I moved last year and after setting up my "drum room", I realized that I was getting bright sun hitting some of those drums in the media cabinet. I found a local window tinter who does automotive, residential and commercial. He recommended a silver-backed tint that doesn't cut out the light, but eliminates UVA and UVB rays. This same film also comes in a goldish tone. Three levels of blackout were also available and I picked a tint that blocks no light. I now wish I would have cut down on the light a bit, but at least there are no damaging uva and uvb rays to ruin the finish on the drums!

-Mark
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Media_Cabinet-1.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	91.3 KB
ID:	134465   Click image for larger version

Name:	Windows-1.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	54.5 KB
ID:	134466  
Old 05-31-2021, 09:30 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by idrum4fun View Post
Hi Curtis!

I moved last year and after setting up my "drum room", I realized that I was getting bright sun hitting some of those drums in the media cabinet. I found a local window tinter who does automotive, residential and commercial. He recommended a silver-backed tint that doesn't cut out the light, but eliminates UVA and UVB rays. This same film also comes in a goldish tone. Three levels of blackout were also available and I picked a tint that blocks no light. I now wish I would have cut down on the light a bit, but at least there are no damaging uva and uvb rays to ruin the finish on the drums!

-Mark
Thank you for the reply Mark!
Old 06-01-2021, 12:03 AM
Vintage Drum Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ec_curtis View Post
Thank you for the reply Mark!
I hope this helps you out!

-Mark
Old 06-22-2021, 09:29 AM
Vintage Drum Guru

That's what I was thinking of doing too Mark, some kind of window tint.

Did you purchase/install the products yourself or did you have him come install them? Is this something that consumers can purchase/install ourselves? Where do you get the material etc? More info would be helpful!

Also, does anyone know of a car wax or finish that blocks UVA/UVB rays that we could apply to our drums?
Old 06-22-2021, 10:41 AM
Vintage Drum Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by vyacheslav View Post
That's what I was thinking of doing too Mark, some kind of window tint.

Did you purchase/install the products yourself or did you have him come install them? Is this something that consumers can purchase/install ourselves? Where do you get the material etc? More info would be helpful!

Also, does anyone know of a car wax or finish that blocks UVA/UVB rays that we could apply to our drums?
Hi V!

I had a local company install the window tint. While I'm sure you can find this window tint locally, it does take some experience to install properly. Have you ever seen cars where the owner installed the tint themselves? It usually ends up all bubbly, etc. Having an experienced installer do my tinting cost me $50 per window, but it was well worth it!

-Mark