Vintage Drum Forum the best vintage drum forum on the Internet - Vintage Drum History - Vintage Drum Questions

Go Back   Vintage Drum Forum > Vintage Drums

Old 05-27-2021, 11:15 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Default Re: OBP Downbeat on eBay

Hi Marty!

I really enjoyed reading your post! Thanks for making me smile!

-Mark
Old 05-27-2021, 11:52 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-Lugs View Post
Yeah, but that's a guitar.
Old 05-27-2021, 11:56 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-Lugs View Post
Ah, but that has lasted almost as long as the nation (US) and probably will outlast it the way things are going lately.
Old 05-28-2021, 12:04 AM
Vintage Drum Guru

Great responses guys. If I win a lottery tomorrow for, say, $5m (2.5 after taxes), I might buy that kit and the guitar and the bow. But then again, maybe not. I've got a LaBoz now, so temptations of that sort are but of a moments endurance.
Old 05-30-2021, 10:10 AM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty Black View Post
After Covid shut down my music scene, I found a 1966 Ludwig "Hollywood" kit in Champagne Sparkle...the same manufacturer, model and color that I desperately wanted in high school at that time, but no money....And although I certainly didn't need this kit in 2020 (already having two other kits), it fulfilled a teenage dream and so I spent too much money to get it, rather than risk "losing" it to someone else.

Although it is in collector condition, it has enough wear and dings and replaced parts, that I use it as my gigging kit. So proud to finally have this kit, and if it gets another ding or two in a venue somewhere, that's OK.
Hey Marty, if you really want that set in pristine condition, hit me up. Actually, it's not the Hollywood, but it's the Super Classic version(13-16-22 +14 snare). All shells are perfect. All drums date from either Oct 10 or 11, 1966, EXCEPT for the Jazzfest snare, which the original owner added later. It dates from 1971.

Oddly, top bearing edges on the toms were wonky and the snare had no edges of any kind, literally as straight as a board, nor a snare bed, so I had Precision Drum clean up the tom edges and cut proper edges and period correct snare bed

Not sure where you are located, as I'd rather not ship, but could if I need to. I haven't listed it anywhere yet, but probably will in the next few months. I want to sell to someone who will appreciate it as I do.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00573.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	100.2 KB
ID:	134462   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00575.JPG
Views:	39
Size:	143.9 KB
ID:	134463   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00582.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	110.6 KB
ID:	134464  
Old 05-31-2021, 12:40 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Yeah, Marty. I couldn't agree more with your sentiments. Glad you scored the kit you wanted. If you want something and you find it, then the price becomes secondary. The hard part is finding any of those things at all. Anyone can always go out there and wash dishes or work in a coal mine or even do some gigs with a chick to get the money!

"Nietzsche is dead." -God
Old 06-06-2021, 08:30 AM
Vintage Drum Guru

I have my teenage kit in the pink champagne as well and would not give it up it still has original heads
But since I have no other kits now I play it
Even if itís 9.5 out of 10

once the brass ceases to glitter, and the drum looses its luster, and the stage remains dark, all you have left is the timbre of family.
Old 06-06-2021, 12:58 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Good for you that you can still enjoy playing your special drum set from your teen age years. There are times when I think about my first real professional drum set that I ordered when I was in my last semester of high school. That 1961 Rogers set--all Holiday drums with Swivo everything hardware--20-12-16-matching snare in beautiful Black Diamond Pearl would still be an outstanding set to play. But, I was one of those working Rock n Roll drummers who thought it was cool to get a new drum set every 12 to 18 months. However, I still have every A Zildjian cymbal that I bought new starting in the late 1950s up through the late 1970s. I've also acquired several A Zildjians ranging from the 1940s through the 1970s and much of my original drum hardware from the mid 20th century.

Last edited by leedybdp; 06-06-2021 at 01:27 PM.