Vintage Drum Forum the best vintage drum forum on the Internet - Vintage Drum History - Vintage Drum Questions

Go Back   Vintage Drum Forum > Vintage Drums

Old 11-05-2021, 03:53 AM
Vintage Drum Guru

Default Vintage as Vintage Can Be

This one is a superb example of vintage drums. What a great sounding and looking setup. Top shelf! Don't everyone dig into their pockets at once, but it's probably more rare than an oyster black Downbeat (with a much lower price). American drums at their best (quite a complement from a Rogers guy ).

https://reverb.com/item/46319820-sli...62-pink-oyster
Old 11-05-2021, 12:20 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Default Re: Vintage as Vintage Can Be

"That shalt not covet thy neighbor's drums".

11th Commandment.
Old 11-05-2021, 01:41 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

^LOL larryz!

It's nice whenever you see a complete kit and not a shell pack being sold as a kit. That's the way kits were sold back in those days, after all -you got a matching hardware package that was brand-specific.

I don't know exactly when it happened, but the day came when suddenly you had to buy a shell pack and then add a snare drum and add a hardware package, separately....Gibralter and all that kind of stuff...

"Nietzsche is dead." -God
Old 11-05-2021, 02:47 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

A neat set to be sure but not exactly a true "time capsule" kit. Extra holes in toms are noted but badge grommets also appear non-original. Some of the hardware is not 100% correct either. May be nit-picky but they are seeking true "time capsule" money. Kudos for the low shipping price.
Old 11-05-2021, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryz View Post
"That shalt not covet thy neighbor's drums".

11th Commandment.

There were originally 15 commandments. 11 through 15 were drum related. Fortunately Moses had a bit of an accident so it's all good.

Old 11-05-2021, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slingerfan View Post
A neat set to be sure but not exactly a true "time capsule" kit. Extra holes in toms are noted but badge grommets also appear non-original. Some of the hardware is not 100% correct either. May be nit-picky but they are seeking true "time capsule" money. Kudos for the low shipping price.

It is still very nice, especially given how nice that rare wrap is.

Drilling those and putting those modern screw in grommets is a real shame. The only reason I can think someone would do that would be if they had internal microphones and didn't want the cables going through the existing grommets.
Old 11-06-2021, 06:00 AM
Vintage Drum Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by slingerfan View Post
Extra holes may be over-rated. Ringo, Ginger, Mitch and all the boys had Black & Decker mods in their kits.

Whoever did it was neat about it. Mic wires does seem a good possibility. I didn't pick up on the badge grommets. That is a bit odd. Would they have been polished aluminum originally?

Regardless, I would very much like to have it but find something a bit less than the necessary cash for that price range at the moment.
Old 11-06-2021, 09:15 AM
Vintage Drum Guru

I hope that the drums in this set are better matches with each other than the drums in this Rogers set that I owned for a few years. I used a cradle for the 10x14 tom as a second floor tom. I have never had seller's remorse for drum sets that I used to own. But, I really would like to have another set of vintage drums in the same wrap--preferably Slingerland or Leedy.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Pink Strata Rogers Set.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	65.3 KB
ID:	135553  
Old 11-06-2021, 10:56 AM
Vintage Drum Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Boucher View Post
Extra holes may be over-rated. Ringo, Ginger, Mitch and all the boys had Black & Decker mods in their kits.
A Ringo (or Ginger, or Mitch) drum with extra holes or cigarette burns is a treasure, for everyone else's drums it is just damage (LOL).

Last edited by slingerfan; 11-06-2021 at 03:20 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 11-06-2021, 11:13 AM
Vintage Drum Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Boucher View Post
I didn't pick up on the badge grommets. That is a bit odd. Would they have been polished aluminum originally?
Yes, should be aluminum, and why were they changed? Raises other questions too. Still a super cool set.