Vintage Drum Forum the best vintage drum forum on the Internet - Vintage Drum History - Vintage Drum Questions

Go Back   Vintage Drum Forum > Vintage Drums

Old 06-26-2011, 10:06 PM
Contributing Member

Default Club Date

Hi Guys,
I'm just wondering what peoples thoughts are on the "Club Date" kits? I have a big beat kit on the way at the moment and I'm considering looking into getting a club date also as it may be quite different tone wise. My other way of thinking is just looking into a Super Classic, Down Beat or maybe a Rogers (Cleveland or Dayton era) kit.
I know the latter three kits are seen as being better, but Im always into trying different things.
Cheers!
Old 06-26-2011, 11:00 PM

Default Re: Club Date

Same Ludwig 3 ply shells as everything else from that time. Some people don't like the long t rods since they are more vulnerable to being damaged/bent, but if you take care of them, great drums in all regards, no worries.
Old 06-27-2011, 12:28 AM
Vintage Drum Guru

Clubdates are my favorite style Ludwigs. I've got a couple 20, 12,14's, a 20,12,15, & a 22, 13 ,15, & really like them all. Puttin' together another one out of orphans soon. They are nice, open-sounding drums, with a real 'old school' vibe. Check 'em out.....marko
Old 06-27-2011, 06:17 AM
Contributing Member

That all sounds rad! I'll have a good look into them and see what I can find. I would love to be able to find something here in Australia but doesn't happen too often so I will have to take the search OS again probably.
Thanks heaps!
Old 06-27-2011, 06:17 AM
Advanced Member

I love my Club Dates. They're easier to transport and take up less space than your typical 22", 16", 13". Love the sound too and I actually like the long t-rod styling with a single lug.
Old 06-27-2011, 06:46 AM
Vintage Drum Guru

If your big-beat kit is a 3-ply shell kit, the sound will be identical. As stated above they are the same shells just drilled for the different hardware.
Old 06-27-2011, 06:50 AM
Vintage Drum Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wakk View Post
That all sounds rad! I'll have a good look into them and see what I can find. I would love to be able to find something here in Australia but doesn't happen too often so I will have to take the search OS again probably.
Thanks heaps!
I'm playing my 1966 Club Dates now for 3 months and love them.
If all goes well I will have a 1966 Super Classic to compare but I can't imagine that sound-wise the difference will be huge.
About availability, same over here in Europe, Club Dates are rare and hard to find. I imported my kit from the US.

Could it be that back in the 60's, they were only available for US market ?
Old 06-27-2011, 08:20 PM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wakk View Post
Thanks heaps!
Hey Wakk, maybe try contacting the seller of this set in Sydney, it didn't get any bids a couple of days ago and looks to be a nice one and has a mtaching Pioneer snare.
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI....=STRK:MEWAX:IT

cheers