Vintage Drum Forum the best vintage drum forum on the Internet - Vintage Drum History - Vintage Drum Questions

Go Back   Vintage Drum Forum > Vintage Non-USA drums

Old 02-12-2013, 08:34 AM

Question Identification of OLD snare drum - Help!

Hi!

I'm new at this forum and I'll start right away with some pictures of my snare drum. I have no idea what this is and can't really find any similar drum or drum kit anywhere. Not even on the internet :/

I would appreciate any help i can get finding out the manufacture of this snare drum.

In one of the pictures, you can see where the badge was plased. It's a shame it's missing, but that's the condition I bought it in(about 500 US$ for complete kit with Ludwig Speed King pedal premier vintage hi-hat stand).

Maybe someone here knows the valuation of a complete drum kit in this design and age?

Many thanks from a Norwegian drummer
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Tromme 1.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	98.4 KB
ID:	54046   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tromme 2.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	111.7 KB
ID:	54047   Click image for larger version

Name:	tromme 3.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	84.5 KB
ID:	54048   Click image for larger version

Name:	tromme 4.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	91.2 KB
ID:	54049  

Old 02-12-2013, 04:58 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Default Re: Identification of OLD snare drum - Help!

Hmmm...well, I think its definetly a German made drum, going by the tensions rods and hoops. And i think you can rule out Trixon and Sonar, because I have never seen a snare throw like that on a Trix or a Sonar.

Could be a budget German brand. But it sure looks like a well made drum, tho. Would love to see the whole set.
Old 02-12-2013, 05:09 PM

I believe the snare is 1960's vintage TROMSA with what is referred to by collectors as a "beer-tap" snare strainer. Made in Germany. Those throwoffs work quite well.
Old 02-12-2013, 05:50 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Hi and !

Agree with Buckie -- I also guess that's TROMSA snare, and strainer tell us about that.
I love this outstanding wrap !!!

George.
Old 02-12-2013, 09:36 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

....welcome as well. There should be a patch on the inside where the shell seam is butted together. Alongside that patch there is usually a serial #, written in pencil.Tromsa did a fair amount of stenciling. If the #is all numerals the first two are the year it was made. If it includes letters such as a capital R or an L or Lind or other it was made for Roxy , Lindberg or another buyer. The two holes are not where a badge was. Most of the badges were rectangular. The holes are where the muffler was. The throwoff originally had a straight rod with a round knob on the end for a handle. It's been replaced by one of the wingscrews that Tromsa used on floortom leg mounts etc. This one is a mid-range roughly 4 x 14 6 lug drum, a type which seems to be the most common Tromsa snare around. They also made 8 and 10 lug parallel strainer models but only in 5 , 6 and 10 inch depths.