Vintage Drum Forum the best vintage drum forum on the Internet - Vintage Drum History - Vintage Drum Questions

Go Back   Vintage Drum Forum > General Drum Questions

Old 04-27-2022, 05:03 PM

Default Shipping box recommendations for snare drums

I am unloading a lot of vintage snare drums and would like to know where you buy your shipping boxes and what size do you recommend? Iíll be buying them in bulk (50).

Would you go with 15 x 15 x 8Ē?
Old 04-27-2022, 07:50 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Default Re: Shipping box recommendations for snare drums

I'm in southern California and get my boxes from Box City in Pasadena. For just storing my 5x14 and 5.5x14 snare drums, I use 16x16x6. When shipping, I'll use 18x18x8, which allows for more packing material. I've even double-boxed some drums, putting the 16x16x6 into an 18x18x8 for super protection! I really wouldn't use a 15x15x8 to ship a drum, as you just don't know if it will take a hard knock or drop and distort a hoop.

-Mark
Old 04-27-2022, 08:14 PM

Thanks for the info. I was thinking of going with the double wall for the extra protection. They are 1/4 thick / 265 lbs crush. I don’t want to fall into the USPS surcharge for going over dimensions. This happened to the last batch we bought. It was annoying. I’ll check some box sites with your info.
Old 04-28-2022, 11:43 AM
Vintage Drum Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ah26 View Post
Thanks for the info. I was thinking of going with the double wall for the extra protection. They are 1/4 thick / 265 lbs crush. I donít want to fall into the USPS surcharge for going over dimensions. This happened to the last batch we bought. It was annoying. Iíll check some box sites with your info.
The double-wall boxes will certainly work, but use the 16x16x6 or 16x16x8 as the minimum size for protection. The majority of 14" diameter drums MIGHT fit into a 15" square box, but can be a tight fit. Stick with a 16" square box and use some bubble wrap or that heavy brown packing paper to keep the drum safe. Even wadding up newspaper will work! Good luck!

-Mark
Old 04-28-2022, 12:33 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

I always save any bubble wrap and also those little air bags that people use for shipping stuff. It sure beats the mess of the styrofoam pellets, which can shift around during shipment.

"Nietzsche is dead." -God
Old 04-28-2022, 04:13 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-Lugs View Post
I always save any bubble wrap and also those little air bags that people use for shipping stuff. It sure beats the mess of the styrofoam pellets, which can shift around during shipment.
Haha, I been saving all those packing materials for years, this week they go into a dumpster. I'm not selling anymore drums and it's taking valuable space in my soon to be drum room.

Thank you!
Jeff C

"Enjoy every sandwich" Warren Zevon