Vintage Drum Forum the best vintage drum forum on the Internet - Vintage Drum History - Vintage Drum Questions

Go Back   Vintage Drum Forum > Vintage Drums

Closed Thread

Old 08-02-2022, 10:58 AM
Contributing Member

Default Re: Drum Brand Preferences

Quote:
Originally Posted by leedybdp View Post
If a younger drummer asks me about my favorite color for a drum set, I might answer: "My favorite drum set is Black Diamond Pearl". It really annoys me that so many of those younger drummers might say: "I didn't know that Pearl has a Black Diamond wrap".

That first bit is quite dodgy.

Ive never heard any drummer coin bdp to Pearl drums much less even bring up the finish.

But yes if you were to respond by saying My favorite drum set is Black Diamond Pearl". Either the responses your getting are tongue in cheek, misunderstood, or downright snarky.
Wowsers.
Old 08-02-2022, 02:54 PM
Contributing Member

Please don't confuse Black Diamond Pearl with Black Diamond's Pearl (the drumkit that Peter smashed after singing the Black Diamond song on that memorable TV appearance)
Old 08-02-2022, 06:25 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

When I see a new kit that is some kind of wine ripple burst fade over figured maple or whatever...I just don't warm up to any of it. The look of a simple red or blue sparkle surpasses those fancy "guitar" finishes, as far as I'm concerned.

"Nietzsche is dead." -God
Old 08-03-2022, 03:09 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Romulus, I think that you are full of crap. Your foolish assumptions might be more correct after all of us drummers born before 1980 have died off. The word "pearl" was a very widely used descriptive term for the various types of plastic wrap material applied to the drum shells. Then, the Japanese-based stencil brand drum company decided to hijack that term for their company's name. The word "g-a-y" was used for many decades as a great word for happiness in hundreds of songs. It is now rarely used in new songs unless those songs reference h-o-m-o-sexuality. Much in that same way, "pearl" as a descriptive word for drum covering is no longer in common usage. Damn! The forum won't even let me post those two words without hyphenating them to get around the censoring filter.

Last edited by leedybdp; 08-03-2022 at 03:13 PM.
Old 08-03-2022, 06:56 PM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by leedybdp View Post
Romulus, I think that you are full of crap. Your foolish assumptions might be more correct after all of us drummers born before 1980 have died off. The word "pearl" was a very widely used descriptive term for the various types of plastic wrap material applied to the drum shells. Then, the Japanese-based stencil brand drum company decided to hijack that term for their company's name. The word "g-a-y" was used for many decades as a great word for happiness in hundreds of songs. It is now rarely used in new songs unless those songs reference h-o-m-o-sexuality. Much in that same way, "pearl" as a descriptive word for drum covering is no longer in common usage. Damn! The forum won't even let me post those two words without hyphenating them to get around the censoring filter.
What the hell are you rambling about now?

Your post tells me your late for your meds.

Pearl has been around for 75 years, Katsumi, who gained recognition for his craftsmanship, was beckoned to make affordable outfits; and as expected, he did a helluva a job using luan and poplar.

Maybe if you stop fruitless soul searching, you’d be a lot better off than trying to bypass a censor filter in the forum with nothing to offer in the manner of context decency within your own thread - as well as averting a product by where it’s manufactured from.

Just looked at DW’s site they have some Pearl finishes, Sonor as well, Ludwig’s site they offer Classic Olive Pearl.

Your position is a load of crap.

Last edited by Romulus; 08-03-2022 at 06:58 PM.
Old 08-04-2022, 04:05 AM
Vintage Drum Guru

Ya ever go to a fight and a drum forum breaks out?
Actually Leedybdp, Katsumi Yanagisawa, the founder of Pearl, chose the name because a pearl is something that is held in high regard and some of the finest pearls in the world come from Japan.

Last edited by johnnyringo; 08-06-2022 at 11:05 PM.
Old 08-04-2022, 08:59 AM
Super Moderator

Guys, guys, guys!
Can we possibly spin the temp dial BACK a bit here?! It's not that big a deal ... talking about the origin of the word PEARL I mean. Sheesh. With that said ..,

... leedybdp: We have no control over how the software is written to edit what THEY perceive as "offensive" words. David and I are both "Pro Words!" .. but .. the designer of the software thinks otherwise. Just gotta roll with it. Or, there are little workarounds .. ( as you know ) .. if certain words/terms are needed to enhance a point, but within reason and basic decorum of course. The management .. as always .. THANKS you all!

Tommyp
Old 08-05-2022, 04:43 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Pearl is a strange word,...I mean when I told people I gave my wife a pearl neckless, they laughed, so now she has a Diamond. If she wears them both, she has Diamond pearl. My metallic white wrap went over to a green pearl color over about what, 45 years. We all know where a pearl comes from so ,...Who cares.

Oh, and Pearl brand drums suck.

.....76/#XK9207 Phonic Sound Machine D454/D-505 snares !i

Last edited by OddBall; 08-05-2022 at 09:34 PM.
Old 08-05-2022, 07:29 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

I'm not really a Pearl guy, but they definitely do not suck.
Old 08-05-2022, 09:34 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

They suck big stick.

.....76/#XK9207 Phonic Sound Machine D454/D-505 snares !i

Last edited by OddBall; 08-06-2022 at 11:18 AM.
Closed Thread