Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 114.83090%

Got an old Ludwig-set for free, what is it?

Hi, this is my first post here! I've been trying to read up on logos, serial numbers and such since me and some friends were given an old Ludwig-set along with some other stuff that someone was going to throw away during an eviction or something. Great for us!

What I think i've come up with is that it seems to be a 1964 set of some sort, and that it came with a 1969 supraphonic 400. What i got this from is a brief and quick look at some serial charts. I'm not sure though, and i'd be happy to get some help with sorting this out, as well as with identifying what accect model of drumset it is.

I'm going to try and get some better pictures, but start by having a look at these if you're interested! :)

http://postimg.org/gallery/1b5mdalwm/5aec3096/

Posted on 9 years ago

what you've come up with so far seems right. The wrap is not original. Looks like maybe a contact paper? Maybe look to see if the original wrap is underneath. Free is always good and underneath the 70s style Scandinavian log cabin finish is a really good set of drums

Andrew

Golden Curtain
www.myspace.com/garagelandnz
Posted on 9 years ago

The snare drum is a 70's model, as Andrew told you try removing that contact paper to see if there is any wrap underneath it and what it maybe.

Your drummers not much good is he!? What you need is someone that's as good as me. ! John Henry Bonham !!
Posted on 9 years ago

Very nice! Yes, it's always an adventure when looking under post factory wrap. Keep up posted - congrats!

gary

Posted on 9 years ago

The serial charts available online aren't particularly accurate but the correct information is out there.

The drums were all the same in all the drum outfits Ludwig sold... so the 8x12 tom in a Downbeat was exactly the same as an 8x12 included with a Hollywood so there aren't really different model Ludwig drums; just different combinations of the same drums. Post the sizes though and we should be able to ID the catalog name of the outfit you have lucked onto.

Posted on 9 years ago

Thanks for the inputs! Tomorrow i'll try to get some better pictures for you and will try and remove the wrap at the same time... and take the sizes too.

Now: if some cool factory finnish turns up underneath the wrap: how do these take care of them selfs under there? Are there any chance that the finnish actually still looks good or am i definetely gonna have to restore something or get some new wrap to have an ok looking set?

Posted on 9 years ago

From tubbyleo

Now: if some cool factory finnish turns up underneath the wrap: how do these take care of them selfs under there? Are there any chance that the finnish actually still looks good or am i definetely gonna have to restore something or get some new wrap to have an ok looking set?

It really depends whats under the current wrap and why it was covered in the fake wood. If it was done in the 70/80s when wood finishes were popular then it might be in good shape underneath (often in very good condition as the contact paper protects from the elements). If it was done because the original wrap was stuffed, then...

If there's no wrap under there then they'll make a good rewrap project.

Either way you're doing pretty well so far. Maybe your lucky streak will continue and underneath is some rare finish.

Andrew

Golden Curtain
www.myspace.com/garagelandnz
Posted on 9 years ago

I would also consider trying photobucket or any other photo sharing site besides what you've used here. The adds are pretty bad and I could not forward through the pictures.

Congrats on the free Ludwigs.

Posted on 9 years ago

Welcome to the forum! Will be interesting to see what is hiding underneath.

A hair drier will be your best friend for getting contact paper off. Just needs to be warm. Good luck.

Creighton

Nothing special here but I like them.
Posted on 9 years ago

As others have mentioned...you're off to a good start. I'm looking forward to seeing what is underneath that contact paper. Welcome to the club!

- EMD
Posted on 9 years ago
Action Another action Something else here