Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 114.83090%

Need Advice: Repainting Rogers Powertone Hoops

I've got 2 24" wooden hoops with KOA inlay on the way, the hoops are painted black but they'll be in need of a touch up, the paint has worn off in many spots.

Any advice on the process or proper kind of black paint to proceed with would be greatly appreciated! Maybe I'm overthinking, would a simple tremclad touch up do the trick?

Thanks

-SS

Posted on 10 years ago

I would give them a light sand with 120, tape off the inlay and give them a couple of light coats off primer. Then hit them with 3 to 4 light coats of finish. You might want to sand them with 220 between finish coats. Krylon gloss black or satin works well. Once they are finished let them sit a week to give the paint time to cure.

Cam

"If we can't be free we can at least be cheap" -FZ
Posted on 10 years ago

I don't tape off the inlays; I remove them completely. Then a good wood filler for the gouges and chips, light sanding, then Krylon Satin Black. I used the gloss black on my first hoop restore and it just didn't look right. The factory stock hoops are more of a satin or semi-gloss finish. Good luck and show the results.

Mike

-No Guru... still learning more every day-
Posted on 10 years ago

From mchair303

I don't tape off the inlays; I remove them completely. Then a good wood filler for the gouges and chips, light sanding, then Krylon Satin Black. I used the gloss black on my first hoop restore and it just didn't look right. The factory stock hoops are more of a satin or semi-gloss finish. Good luck and show the results.Mike

Big +1 The right way to go...

John

Too many great drums to list here!

http://www.walbergandauge.com/VintageVenue.htm
Posted on 10 years ago

Yes, what Mike says,

I made a spinable TT so its easy to spray both sides at once... Satin enamel 3 coats, I sand but no primer.

Cheers

John

1 attachments
'77 Slingerland 51N,Super Rock 24,18,14,13.. COW 8,10 Concert toms
'69 Slingerland Hollywood Ace
'75 Rogers Dynasonic 6.5 x 14, 10 lug COB
'77-78 Slingerland 6.5 x 14, 10 lug COB
'78-79 Slingerland 5 1/4 x14 8 lug COB
'79 Biman 5 1/4, Acrolite
'82 Slingerland 5 1/4 x 14. Festival COS
'84 Tama MasterCraft Superstar 6.5 x 14, 10 lug Rosewood
'98 Slingerland (Music YO) 6" 10 Lug Maple.. NOS
Zildjian, Sabian , UFIP & Paiste mix.
Posted on 10 years ago

Thanks all for your advice, much appreciated. I'll post pics when the job is done!

Posted on 10 years ago
Action Another action Something else here