Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 114.83090%

Shelly Manne snares

Referring to a late 50's Leedy catalog, I saw wood Shelly Manne snares in 4.5 and 5.5 inch depths. This was during the Slingerland era and are supposed to be similar to their own snares.

Anyone know which Slingerland snare it would be comparable to?

Thanks!

Posted on 2 years ago

Hi oaklandrichie!

Choosing about 1960 for both snare drums, I would say that the Shelly Manne snare drum might be similar to the Gene Krupa snare drum. Of course the GK used a one-ply maple shell, with the SM having a 3-ply shell. Still the layout was similar, well, except that the SM was offered in a 4.5x14. The SM used a 3pt-style strainer, but with the brackets that pulled the snare wires out being integral and not separate like the GK Radio King.

Slingerland implemented enough small changes, though, to make the Slinger-Leedy and Slingerland snare drums a bit different from each other!

-Mark

Posted on 2 years ago

A little off topic but Jeff Hamilton recently had an Instagram post displaying Shelly’s Mahogany Leedy kit that he had put new heads on. It’s beautiful. You might want to check that out.

Posted on 2 years ago

From Multijd

A little off topic but Jeff Hamilton recently had an Instagram post displaying Shelly’s Mahogany Leedy kit that he had put new heads on. It’s beautiful. You might want to check that out.

Thanks for the heads up! I'll check it out!

-Mark

Posted on 2 years ago

Thanks, Mark!

That's great info.

Multijd,

I will check out that video.

Posted on 2 years ago

The only real differences between the Slingerland and Leedy snares during the SlingerLeedy era was the strainer and the lugs. Other than that, they both used the same 3 ply shells, tension rods, hoops, mufflers and badge grommets. The two brands had differing wrap and duco colors as well. I don't think they ever cataloged a solid maple shell Leedy snare.

In catalog 62 Leedy offered, in the catalog anyway, the Shelly Mann snare with either the Slingerland three point with no extension bridges or the Leedy Broadway strainer with had the built in bridges. The 4 1/2" got the Slingerland three point.

I believe the Zoomatic was introduced in catalog 63 so in '62, the higher end Slingerlands would still be suffering with the Clamshell strainer on the Gene Krupa models.

Posted on 2 years ago

From idrum4fun

Hi oaklandrichie!Choosing about 1960 for both snare drums, I would say that the Shelly Manne snare drum might be similar to the Gene Krupa snare drum. Of course the GK used a one-ply maple shell, with the SM having a 3-ply shell. Still the layout was similar, well, except that the SM was offered in a 4.5x14. The SM used a 3pt-style strainer, but with the brackets that pulled the snare wires out being integral and not separate like the GK Radio King.Slingerland implemented enough small changes, though, to make the Slinger-Leedy and Slingerland snare drums a bit different from each other!-Mark

I agree with Mark. The '58-'61 "Gene Krupa" model would be the most comparable to the same era "Shelly Manne" snare although there are still several differences as Mark noted. The '58-'61 "Gene Krupa" model used the three point strainer with bridges, not the clamshell strainer, which was used on the "Super Gene Krupa" model.

Posted on 2 years ago

I have a red sparkle Leedy blue badge Shelley Manne snare from 1965. To my eyes (and ears) it's basically a Slingerland Hollywood Ace model with nicer lugs and a better (to me at least) strainer. Great sounding drum.

Posted on 2 years ago

I have a fondness for the Shelly Manne snare drum. Here are the 1963 Black Diamond Pearl snare that came with my favorite drum set and the 1958 or 1959 Pink Glass Glitter snare that I sold a couple of weeks ago.

1 attachments
No matter how far you push the envelope, it is still stationery.
Posted on 2 years ago

From Jay_M

I have a red sparkle Leedy blue badge Shelley Manne snare from 1965. To my eyes (and ears) it's basically a Slingerland Hollywood Ace model with nicer lugs and a better (to me at least) strainer. Great sounding drum.

Hi Jay!

Any chance of posting some pictures? I'm sure we'd all love to see your drum!

-Mark

Posted on 2 years ago
Action Another action Something else here