Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 114.83090%

garage sale Rpgers Dynasonic help please

I guess I don't know much about Rogers drums, but I just learned to NOT type "Rogers Drums Dating Guide" into a search engine.

I just got this at a garage sale. It looks round and looks like it will clean up nicely.

The serial number is 12356. My research says it might be from the early 60's or the late 60's. Can anyone clear that up for me?

I found a Dynasonic tuning guide by TommyP, looking for any other info.

It needs heads and snare wires, I don't know what else. This thing is kind of alien looking to a Ludwig raised farm boy.

I have a new coated ambassador in the other room. Is there something I should be considering? If there is a book about Rogers snares I will buy it.

thanks

2 attachments

1971 Ludwig Rock Duo set in Blue Oyster Pearl
early Mapex dual bass drum Saturn kit
1964 Leedy Ray  Mosca kit in Blue Sparkle
1959 Slingerland Super Gene Krupa snare in WMP
1968 Slingerland Hollywood Ace Snare Drum
1969 and 1977 Ludwig 400 Supraphonic snares
1965 Acrolite snare
Ludwig Coliseum snare
'68 Rogers Dynasonic snare
Pearl free floating piccolo snare
13" Mapex piccolo snare
6.5" deep Mapex steel snare
Mapex 6.5" Brass snare
I know there's more snares than that.
UFIP cymbals / Avedis Zildjians
Ghost pedals or Tama King Beats
you kids get off my lawn

Posted on 2 years ago

Clean, heads, snare wires, done.

Cobalt Blue Yamaha Recording Custom 20b-22b-8-10-12-13-15-16f-18f
Red Ripple '70's Yamaha D-20 20b-12-14f
Piano Black Yamaha Recording Custom Be-Bop kit 18b-10-14f
Snares:
Yamaha COS SDM5; Yamaha Cobalt Blue RC 5-1/2x14; Gretsch round badge WMP; 1972 Ludwig Acrolite; 1978 Ludwig Super Sensitive; Cobalt Blue one-off Montineri; Yamaha Musashi 6.5X13 Oak; cheap 3.5X13 brass piccolo
Posted on 2 years ago

Rogers went to 5 line shell from 7 line in 1967. Numbers put this 67-68 year.

You need the snare rail unique to the Dynasonic. Attached how to tune it, including pictures so you get an idea of what to look for. Modern wire sets available if you cannot find an original era rail.

1 attachments
Posted on 2 years ago

From amosguy

Rogers went to 5 line shell from 7 line in 1967. Numbers put this 67-68 year.You need the snare rail unique to the Dynasonic. Attached how to tune it, including pictures so you get an idea of what to look for. Modern wire sets available if you cannot find an original era rail.

That page helps immensely! thanks.

I looked at some Dynasonics on eBay and saw the snare frames, which my drum is missing.

I found a guy (Aldrew Music) on eBay claiming the have the dies from Fender, from which he is making new snare frames. They sell for half what people are asking for a vintage part. I am still looking for a source for that.

Meanwhile the shells and the rims got a bath with some Dawn Blue and came out looking really nice

1965 Acrolite snare
Ludwig Coliseum snare
13" Mapex piccolo snare
6.5" deep Mapex steel snare
Mapex 6.5" Brass snare
I know there's more snares than that.
UFIP cymbals / Avedis Zildjians
Ghost pedals or Tama King Beats
you kids get off my lawn

Posted on 2 years ago

The rail and wires you want are those offered by the "new" Rogers USA company. It's part number 4723 and can be found for around $60. Here's one on Reverb... https://reverb.com/p/rogers-4723-dyna-sonic-20-strand-snare-rail-unit-reissue-14?hfid=35462955&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=12293041807&utm_content=campaignid=12293041807_adgroupid=117510799197_productpartitionid=1311304742555=merchantid=111352820_productid=35462955_keyword=_device=c_adposition=_matchtype=_creative=497365935053&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIgoOLxI6X9AIVGh-tBh35JQLjEAQYASABEgL0e_D_BwE

The rail offered by Al Drew is the style used on the Big R drums from the mid-70's. The "new" rail is the one to go with.

-Mark

Posted on 2 years ago

The folks above have steered you straight. Tommy P's document says it all with Dynasonics.

Being new to Rogers, and the Dynasonic in particular, you might enjoy this video where a comparison is made between it and the Rogers PowerTone. These were Rogers two top of the line snare drums. Though they are both wooden shell models in this demo, I think it captures the elements that distinguish the two. The PowerTone has a more open sound that would tend to project further in most cases - thus the name. The Dynasonic is a more controlled sound and somewhat more crisp. Both have their place, but do have a different sound.

The primary designer, Joe Thompson, put a lot of thought into that drum including the use of the frame. It covers the element of tensioning the snares without choking the head (somewhat covered by the PowerTone too using a relatively shallow snare bed depth), but also provided protection for the snare wires themselves.

Enjoy the drum!

Posted on 2 years ago

I solely blame my powertone snares for my tinnitus. Those rimshots would cut Diamond at 20 paces.

Cobalt Blue Yamaha Recording Custom 20b-22b-8-10-12-13-15-16f-18f
Red Ripple '70's Yamaha D-20 20b-12-14f
Piano Black Yamaha Recording Custom Be-Bop kit 18b-10-14f
Snares:
Yamaha COS SDM5; Yamaha Cobalt Blue RC 5-1/2x14; Gretsch round badge WMP; 1972 Ludwig Acrolite; 1978 Ludwig Super Sensitive; Cobalt Blue one-off Montineri; Yamaha Musashi 6.5X13 Oak; cheap 3.5X13 brass piccolo
Posted on 2 years ago

I noticed the link to the demo didn't take. I'm trying again.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWVk1X4Nfo8"]DYNASONIC vs POWERTONE ROGERS snare drums 2 - YouTube[/ame]

Posted on 2 years ago

I solely blame my powertone snares for my tinnitus. Those rimshots would cut Diamond at 20 paces.

Could you speak up a bit please?

Yeah, they can be pretty loud.

Posted on 2 years ago

From idrum4fun

The rail and wires you want are those offered by the "new" Rogers USA company. It's part number 4723 and can be found for around $60. Here's one on Reverb... The rail offered by Al Drew is the style used on the Big R drums from the mid-70's. The "new" rail is the one to go with.-Mark

Thanks Mark. I was looking eBay auctions for the frame alone for $100 more than the new part including snares and the tension screws.

My $10 Dynasonic thanks you.

1965 Acrolite snare
Ludwig Coliseum snare
13" Mapex piccolo snare