Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 114.83090%

Steel Beverley Cosmic 21?

Hi all,

First post on here...

I recently picked up what i believe to be a Beverley Cosmic 21.

It looks just like this one http://www.joecoxdrums.com/snares/late-70s-beverley-cosmic-21-14x55

Only thing is that a magnet sticks to it so I'm thinking it's made of steel and not aluminium, I've done a fair amount of internet searching but not been able to find anything.

The snare sounds great so I'm not particularly bothered, just curious about its history if anyone has any ideas?

Thanks

Justin

Posted on 3 years ago

Hi Justin...and Welcome to the forum!

I must admit that my knowledge of UK drums is limited. That being said, a quick internet search of this drum does show that it's an aluminum shell, so your steel shell has me wondering. Maybe others here can shed more information on this snare. It does seem like a really nice drum, though!

Here's an attached picture from the 1978 Beverly catalog, showing the snare drum. There is no mention about the shell material, but I have to assume it's aluminum. I do find the description of the 8061 to be confusing..."Wood seamless centre beaded shell"...

-Mark

1 attachments
Posted on 3 years ago

Thanks Mark, i appreciate you looking, i keep drawing the same conclusions - it's a mystery! ��

Posted on 3 years ago

They made them in both materials. I came across a really nice Premier badged one at 2112 Percussion in Raleigh a year or two ago. It was priced well so I grabbed it an took it to the counter. I asked for a magnet and unfortunately it stuck to the shell so I didn't buy it.

Posted on 3 years ago

Ok, that helps, thank you

Posted on 3 years ago

I wonder when they switch to steel? All information on this drum mentions only the aluminum shell. Still a really nice drum, though!

-Mark

Posted on 3 years ago

As it happens i was on the lookout for a steel snare drum, having never really played a metal snare at all apart from the beaten up old ones in practice rooms, steel seemed like an affordable place to start, I landed this, i traded it for an old ufip cymbal i no longer used so I'm very happy!

Posted on 3 years ago
Action Another action Something else here