Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 114.63048%

replacement tension rods for "Majestic" brand floor tom

Hello to all at Vintage Drum Forum!

I am looking for some replacement tension rods to go with a vintage (late 70s/early 80s) MIJ "Majestic" brand 16" acrylic floor tom. See attached pic.

Do any of the members on this forum know where I might be able to find such replacement tension rods, or know the right technical name/term/measurement for them? (Are they metric tension rods?). I tried several different tension rods from assorted brands I had laying around, but none of them fit and I do not want to damage the threads or spring on the original "Majestic" floor tom lugs.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks to all, and keep on drumming.

Peace.

Posted on 6 years ago

Yes, these are not standard american threading. Which I could remember the thread measurement.... One of the tricks I use in a pinch is to pick up the cheapest asian kid's kit I can find (like First Act) & salvage the T-rods.

1964 Ludwig Champagne Super Classic
1970 Ludwig Blue Oyster Super Classic
1977 Rogers Big R Londoner 5 ebony
1972/1978 Rogers Powertone/Big R mix ebony
60's Ludwig Supersensitive
Pearl B4514 COB snare ( the SC snare)
Pearl Firecracker
PJL WMP maple snare
Odds & Sods

Sabians, Paistes, Zildjians, Zyns, UFIPs, MIJs etc
Item may be subject to change!
Posted on 6 years ago

Your best bet is to just replace the threaded inserts inside the lugs with modern ones so they can accept modern (and readily available) tension rods. Most of the MIJ stuff I run into will accept a new, modern threaded insert with no problems. It's much easier to do this than scouring around trying to find odd thread tension rods. Lug inserts and tension rods are inexpensive as well. It may not be "all original" but I think this, at worst, is a very minor offense. Besides, what good is a drum if you can't even mount a head on it?

Posted on 6 years ago

I've seen several variants in the older MIJ kits with metric tension rods:

The most common threading is 5mm. x .8mm. Occasionally 5mm. x .9mm is found. The first thing you might do is acquire a pocket metric thread gauge from a good hardware supplier. Very inexpensive, small enough to fit in your pocket or gig bag. Measure the threads (my guess is they're 5mm. x .8mm) to know for certain what you're needing. Most long standing music retail houses have boxes of miscellaneous parts which usually have some of these rods. Other sources would be to buy as cheaply as possible kits or spare drums from which to borrow the rods. If all else fails replacing the threaded lug insert receivers with standard 12-24" parts and rods is workable but quite a pain! Eye Ball

Good luck! Remember that the hunt is usually more rewarding than the trophy!

Posted on 6 years ago

Fastenall stores have thread gauges to tell you what you are dealing with. Seems too new to be metric, but I did own a Yamaha set from that period (the inexpensive line) with metric rods. Replacing the inserts is the easiest answer.

Posted on 6 years ago

Yep, as mentioned..find out what the thread is and maybe you can find them online. If not, as mentioned, replace the swival nuts if you can find some with a common thread (non metric) that fit into the lugs. Replace tension rods that fit the swival nuts.

Posted on 6 years ago

From vyacheslav

Your best bet is to just replace the threaded inserts inside the lugs with modern ones so they can accept modern (and readily available) tension rods. Most of the MIJ stuff I run into will accept a new, modern threaded insert with no problems. It's much easier to do this than scouring around trying to find odd thread tension rods. Lug inserts and tension rods are inexpensive as well. It may not be "all original" but I think this, at worst, is a very minor offense. Besides, what good is a drum if you can't even mount a head on it?

I second this.

Posted on 6 years ago
Action Another action Something else here