Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 114.83090%

18" vintage Zildjian ride?

Hello,

I found a cymbal for sale listed as a vintage 18" Zildjian heavy ride...I asked the seller how much it weighs, and he said about 2600g. Looks like a 70s stamp to me. I attached pics, and you can see them on Shutterfly at https://mycymbals.shutterfly.com/pictures/8

This sounds like a very heavy 18" to me, and I haven't been able to find any 18"s online much over 2000-2100g or so...

Are there really 1970's 2600g 18" Zildjian rides out there?

He's selling for $70, so I'm probably just going to go for it...I'm sure I can sell it off for about the same if I don't like it. I'm just to get a better understanding of what this is before I commit. I suspect it's either bigger than 18, or its lighter than 2600g...only because i can't find anything similar anywhere. But if anyone out there can confirm yes 2600g 18" rides are out there, that would be helpful.

Thank you for your time!

3 attachments
Posted on 7 years ago

That seems really heavy. Are we sure it's not a field cymbal? It's going to be very pingy I'd say.

Cobalt Blue Yamaha Recording Custom 20b-22b-8-10-12-13-15-16f-18f
Red Ripple '70's Yamaha D-20 20b-12-14f
Piano Black Yamaha Recording Custom Be-Bop kit 18b-10-14f
Snares:
Yamaha COS SDM5; Yamaha Cobalt Blue RC 5-1/2x14; Gretsch round badge WMP; 1972 Ludwig Acrolite; 1978 Ludwig Super Sensitive; Cobalt Blue one-off Montineri; Yamaha Musashi 6.5X13 Oak; cheap 3.5X13 brass piccolo
Posted on 7 years ago

From f15c

Hello,I found a cymbal for sale listed as a vintage 18" Zildjian heavy ride...I asked the seller how much it weighs, and he said about 2600g. Looks like a 70s stamp to me. I attached pics, and you can see them on Shutterfly at https://mycymbals.shutterfly.com/pictures/8This sounds like a very heavy 18" to me, and I haven't been able to find any 18"s online much over 2000-2100g or so... Are there really 1970's 2600g 18" Zildjian rides out there?He's selling for $70, so I'm probably just going to go for it...I'm sure I can sell it off for about the same if I don't like it. I'm just to get a better understanding of what this is before I commit. I suspect it's either bigger than 18, or its lighter than 2600g...only because i can't find anything similar anywhere. But if anyone out there can confirm yes 2600g 18" rides are out there, that would be helpful.Thank you for your time!

2600 grams would be a nice weight, if it was a 22" cymbal. Maybe it 1/2 of a marching pair. I would expect an 18" cymbal to be within 1300 grams on the thin side to at most 2000 grams on the heavy side. Most of my 18's and 19's are in the 1500 to 1900 region. Most of my 20" rides are between 1950 and 2200 grams. Most of my 22" rides are between 2200 and 2500 grams with a couple up to 2600. For an 18" cymbals 2600 grams is way too heavy for sticking. I think it will sound too much like a manhole cover.

Mark
BosLover
Posted on 7 years ago

The heaviest 18" I've got on record was labelled concert band and weighed 2255g. The distribution does include a few above 2000g but that's the top 3%. The most likely thing is he didn't' weigh it properly, or weighed it in lbs and oz and then didn't convert the answer properly into grams. Or it could be a simple typo and he meant 1600g. Hard to say where the strangeness crept in, but the claim of 2600g is very unlikely (< 1%) based on the general distribution of 18" Avedis Zildjian cymbals.

The bell diameter also looks to me like the larger 5.5" diameter bell (vs 5" diameter) which was used on 18" crashes and crash rides from this era. But those models would tend to be lighter than just rides and that isn't consistent with the reported weight of 2600g. I don't know if marching and band models also had the larger bell size.

Posted on 7 years ago

Sorry for laughing was the remark by Boslover "It would sound like a manhole cover". It is a heavy weight gotta buy it and let us all know how the manhole cover sounds hahahaha.

Posted on 7 years ago

Ha! Thanks for replies. I suspected this was very heavy for an 18, but hey my 20" A Ping Ride is 2729g (my other manhole cover ;) so...thought if this was real it might offer similar sound in at a smaller size. Guess I'll find out for sure if I buy it.

Good to know it's very unlikely to find an 18 that heavy...I'm undecided at this point, but l like to ping away, so...maybe I'll take my scale and measuring tape with me to check it out!

Thanks to all for your time, much appreciated.

Posted on 7 years ago

Yeah the field cymbals usually had a grommet in the center but after 50 years who knows.

I played a pair of "symphonic French" cymbals in the late 80's. Those were quite thin. I don't think this heavy would be a concert band (indoor) cymbal but rather a field (marching band) cymbal or typo!

Cobalt Blue Yamaha Recording Custom 20b-22b-8-10-12-13-15-16f-18f
Red Ripple '70's Yamaha D-20 20b-12-14f
Piano Black Yamaha Recording Custom Be-Bop kit 18b-10-14f
Snares:
Yamaha COS SDM5; Yamaha Cobalt Blue RC 5-1/2x14; Gretsch round badge WMP; 1972 Ludwig Acrolite; 1978 Ludwig Super Sensitive; Cobalt Blue one-off Montineri; Yamaha Musashi 6.5X13 Oak; cheap 3.5X13 brass piccolo
Posted on 7 years ago

From f15c

Ha! Thanks for replies. I suspected this was very heavy for an 18, but hey my 20" A Ping Ride is 2729g (my other manhole cover ;) so...thought if this was real it might offer similar sound in at a smaller size. Guess I'll find out for sure if I buy it.Good to know it's very unlikely to find an 18 that heavy...I'm undecided at this point, but l like to ping away, so...maybe I'll take my scale and measuring tape with me to check it out!Thanks to all for your time, much appreciated.

You have a 20" ping that weighs 2720g? That's heavy! My 20" ping weighs around 2300+.

Mark
BosLover
Posted on 7 years ago

I bet that one sound worse than a manhole cover. Probably like a thick steel pipe.

Posted on 7 years ago
Action Another action Something else here