Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 114.83090%

65 Ludwig bass and orphan project advice

Got a 65 kick off e Bay the other day to complete a collection of orphans that I hope to clean up and make into a nice kit to play with. Keystone badge, 3ply clear interior, shell in great shape, silver sparkle wrap that has seen better days. Original cymbal mount and legs, but someone removed the consolette and drilled the shell for the 70s style double tom mount. If you were going to rewrap it, would you plug the tom mount holes and replace consolette mount, or just leave as is and plug the consolette holes? I'm not looking to move it, rather to enjoy playing some old Ludwigs. So I'm leaning toward leaving the tom mount as is, but wanted some advice from some real Ludwig guys. The other toms are all 69-71 blue/olives. The kick is the only keystone of the bunch. I got them with the plan of rewrapping them all in black oyster pearl...but may leave them as is and just call my kit "The Orphanage"...😄 All together, I have less than $600 in the 5 pieces. Thoughts?

[IMG]http://5.t.imgbox.com/8QpnwjST.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://2.t.imgbox.com/UGcAidY0.jpg[/IMG]

65-73 Ludwig orphans 22/16/15/13/12 (silver sparkle rewrap)
1967 Ludwig Supraphonic 5 x 14
1976 Ludwig Acrolite 5 x 14
1966 Ludwig Pioneer 5 x 14
66-'67-ish Slingerland orphan project 20/13 (original champagne sparkling pearl)
Mid-60's Slingerland Gene Krupa COB Sound King 5 x 14
Mid-50's Slingerland tenor-to-floor tom resto/conversion project
Early 50's Slingerland Marcher resto project
Pork Pie 6.5 x 14 Big Black
Zildjians
Posted on 7 years ago

I'm not a ludwig guy by far, but if it were my drums, I'd plug the holes of the tom mount AND the consolette, in other words I'd re-virginize that bass drum. I'd take of the bracket of my tom-tom too and plug those holes as well. I'd place the tom on a vintage flatbed snare stand with isolation rubber.

IMHO drums sound best without all that metal on them.

Vintage and custom drum projects:
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php...2305272732%3A6
Posted on 7 years ago

Thanks for the reply! I thought about that, but I have both a 12 and 13 tom, along with a 15" 3 ply maple marcher that I am converting to a floor tom. I guess I should have mentioned that first. If I was just going for the Ringo look, I would absolutely consider doing that, but having 2 toms off to the hi hat side isn't really appealing to me. Although I guess I could re-sell the 12 and 15, and just get a 16" floor tom, but I got such a great price on the others, I had to get them! From what I've seen, any floor toms are about what I paid for all 3 of the other toms put together. (the 12 was a early concert tom, bottom hoop and lugs are on the way!)

[IMG]http://6.t.imgbox.com/jWGXAE6x.jpg[/IMG]

66-'67-ish Slingerland orphan project 20/13 (original champagne sparkling pearl)
Zildjians
Posted on 7 years ago

yes, with two tom-toms it's a bit odd.

Nice drums.

Vintage and custom drum projects:
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php...2305272732%3A6
Posted on 7 years ago

did the rail mount only have 2 holes, all I see is 2 caps?

Posted on 7 years ago

I have a 16" concert tom unwrapped that would be perfect for a floor tom conversion as I plugged the holes someone made for the mounts. And I don't believe they would create an issue for bottom lugs & rim.

18 Kits & 40+ snares..
Not a Guru, just addicted to drums

- Jay
Posted on 7 years ago

[QUOTE=burgundy;397795]did the rail mount only have 2 holes, all I see is 2 caps?[/QU

Yes, only 2 holes.

Zildjians
Posted on 7 years ago

From ARCHxANGEL

I have a 16" concert tom unwrapped that would be perfect for a floor tom conversion as I plugged the holes someone made for the mounts. And I don't believe they would create an issue for bottom lugs & rim.

Oh now you're just straining the relationship between me and my wife! She thinks the dining room is full enough! :p Wish I'd seen yours before I bought the marcher. May think about moving it, will let you know. Thanks!

Zildjians
Posted on 7 years ago

So thanks to ArchxAngel, the project has now taken on a new orphan...:p

Zildjians
Posted on 7 years ago

Update on the orphan project. Coming along slowly but surely... :) I know these are not all of the same period, and this collection might be something most hard core Ludwig guys aren't really interested in. I took them all on mainly because I've always loved old drums, wanted to learn how to do some of the things you guys do, and wanted some Ludwigs! I have had a blast so far, and learned so much from all of you on this forum. With the exception of the 15" marcher, they all had issues and abuse. Anyway, the bass drum looked amazing after cleaning up. I tried the Plastix first, then the Novus 1-2, just to try that out, and she really shines now! Both products seemed to work exceptionally well. The 12" concert tom has already gotten her shiny new outfit and hardware, and is ready to dance. The 13" is on the bench now, her gouged and cracked wrap removed. Bottom edge will get a re-cut, since at some point, a prior owner removed the bottom head and apparently used it like that a long time, allowing the edge to get abused pretty badly. The hardware is off, ready for a good clean and buff. Whoever the first one here to suggest the vinegar soak, it has worked WONDERFULLY for me on some of these rusty lugs and rods, thank you! The 15" marcher and the 16" concert tom are waiting their turn...but like Lt. Dan...they got new legs...and I couldn't resist putting them on and setting them up as is! Updates as time and budget allow...and then there are those Slingy's that showed up at my door earlier in the week...

1 attachments
Zildjians
Posted on 7 years ago
Action Another action Something else here