Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 114.83090%

Anyone know date of manufacture for serial #3030192 ? '78-79?

This drum, with Puresound twisted snares, Evans level 360 ST dry vented batter head, and wood batter hoop is my "perfect."

Anyone know what year Ludwig stopped making the rounded bearing edge on this model?

Thx

Posted on 8 years ago

From Oldenuf

Anyone know date of manufacture for serial #3030192 ? '78-79? This drum, with Puresound twisted snares, Evans level 360 ST dry vented batter head, and wood batter hoop is my "perfect." Anyone know what year Ludwig stopped making the rounded bearing edge on this model?Thx

I believe a seven-digit serial number beginning with 30 would be an '80s drum at the earliest. Is the top right corner of the badge rounded or pointed?

Zach

Currently looking for a 3-ply 24x14 Ludwig in champagne sparkle w/rail consolette and cymbal mount!
Posted on 8 years ago

I believe the first Ludwig catalog that showed the hammered bronze snare drums was the 75th anniversary catalog from 1984. I don't recall them offering the hammered bronze prior to the early 80's. BTW, they still offer it to this day, so someone is buying them Eye Ball

Posted on 8 years ago

thx zack & dude.

corner of blue/olive badge is rounded --- what year did that start?

i think it was the 1982 catalog that i saw model 522k:

hammered bronze, 6.5" x 14" w/P-85 strainer

Jeff

Posted on 8 years ago

From Oldenuf

Anyone know date of manufacture for serial #3030192 ? '78-79? This drum, with Puresound twisted snares, Evans level 360 ST dry vented batter head, and wood batter hoop is my "perfect." Anyone know what year Ludwig stopped making the rounded bearing edge on this model?Thx

I'd guess 82-83 with the B/O badge.

By the way, I don't think the serial numbers make much sense numerically after the Chicago plant closed. My hammered bronze has a Monroe badge with a serial number beginning with 3,15x and with an ink stamp of 107. I assumed that was for Oct '87. Mine has a backwards 'B' above the tone control knob. It's my favorite drum.

Also, it has a rounded bearing edge and I'm guessing that they still do, along with the other Supras made today.

Posted on 8 years ago

correction on that catalog no.: 552k, not 522k

Mo --- mine doesn't have a "B" or "Br" forward or backward; could it be copper?!

somebody described their vintage hammered bronze supra on ebay, with a rounded bearing edge, claiming they don't make 'em with rounded edge any more? i haven't double checked that with any reliable source.

jeff

Posted on 8 years ago

From Oldenuf

correction on that catalog no.: 552k, not 522kMo --- mine doesn't have a "B" or "Br" forward or backward; could it be copper?! somebody described their vintage hammered bronze supra on ebay, with a rounded bearing edge, claiming they don't make 'em with rounded edge any more? i haven't double checked that with any reliable source.jeff

I doubt it's copper, or at least I'm unaware of any earlier copper Supras.

I'd guess it's bronze. Ludwig probably left the B or Backwards B off of the drum. You can never tell with Ludwig.

Others on here have the same drum as yours and I'm sure they'll chime in to help.

I checked my bearing edge and it isn't as round as the bearing edges on my 402 Supra, so the guy might be right in what he says. I never noticed the sharp bearing edge before. Learn something new every day!

Posted on 8 years ago

These drums appeared in the '82 catalog on page 5 (along with the hammered "chrome" aluminum Supra). The "smooth" bronze made the debut in '81. Also these drums were never listed as hand hammered, just "hammered," as a machine was doing the hammering not an artisan.

After the move to NC it appears that the hammering marks were slightly larger and argualbly more uniformly patterned.

These shells have a high copper content, mine measured at 88.73% Cu | 10.21 Zn, and thus that wonderful hue! Mine is an upside down "B" shell with a mid-80's Chicago Keystone badge - serial number is 3112485 (badge dating is not the most accurate method as we all know these things didn't matter that much back in the day to Ludwig or the consumers). It's also sporting the great twin-channel die cast hoops.

Posted on 8 years ago

From Hoppy

These drums appeared in the '82 catalog on page 5 (along with the hammered "chrome" aluminum Supra). The "smooth" bronze made the debut in '81. Also these drums were never listed as hand hammered, just "hammered," as a machine was doing the hammering not an artisan.After the move to NC it appears that the hammering marks were slightly larger and argualbly more uniformly patterned.These shells have a high copper content, mine measured at 88.73% Cu | 10.21 Zn, and thus that wonderful hue! Mine is an upside down "B" shell with a mid-80's Chicago Keystone badge - serial number is 3112485 (badge dating is not the most accurate method as we all know these things didn't matter that much back in the day to Ludwig or the consumers). It's also sporting the great twin-channel die cast hoops.

Gorgeous drum. I'm curious, is your bearing edge like mine, kinda sharp instead of rounded?

Posted on 8 years ago

It looks like the standard Ludwig flange... I've attached a couple of images for your comparison. Hopefully they're not too small to see the details.

Posted on 8 years ago
Action Another action Something else here