Old 07-11-2016, 01:13 PM
#1
Oldenuf Oldenuf is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 4
Default Hand hammered bronze Supraphonic
Anyone know date of manufacture for serial #3030192 ? '78-79?
This drum, with Puresound twisted snares, Evans level 360 ST dry vented batter head, and wood batter hoop is my "perfect."
Anyone know what year Ludwig stopped making the rounded bearing edge on this model?
Thx
Old 07-11-2016, 03:04 PM
#2
TheElectricCompany TheElectricCompany is offline
Vintage Drum Guru
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 546
Default Re: Hand hammered bronze Supraphonic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldenuf View Post
Anyone know date of manufacture for serial #3030192 ? '78-79?
This drum, with Puresound twisted snares, Evans level 360 ST dry vented batter head, and wood batter hoop is my "perfect."
Anyone know what year Ludwig stopped making the rounded bearing edge on this model?
Thx
I believe a seven-digit serial number beginning with 30 would be an '80s drum at the earliest. Is the top right corner of the badge rounded or pointed?
__________________
Zach

Currently looking for a 3-ply 24x14 Ludwig in champagne sparkle w/rail consolette and cymbal mount!
Old 07-11-2016, 04:02 PM
#3
Ludwig-dude Ludwig-dude is offline
Vintage Drum Guru
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 4,009
Default Re: Hand hammered bronze Supraphonic
I believe the first Ludwig catalog that showed the hammered bronze snare drums was the 75th anniversary catalog from 1984. I don't recall them offering the hammered bronze prior to the early 80's. BTW, they still offer it to this day, so someone is buying them
Old 07-11-2016, 05:42 PM
#4
Oldenuf Oldenuf is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 4
Default Re: Hand hammered bronze Supraphonic
thx zack & dude.
corner of blue/olive badge is rounded --- what year did that start?
i think it was the 1982 catalog that i saw model 522k:
hammered bronze, 6.5" x 14" w/P-85 strainer
Jeff
Old 07-11-2016, 05:47 PM
#5
Mo Tonkie Mo Tonkie is offline
Vintage Drum Guru
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: S of Nash
Posts: 629
Default Re: Hand hammered bronze Supraphonic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldenuf View Post
Anyone know date of manufacture for serial #3030192 ? '78-79?
This drum, with Puresound twisted snares, Evans level 360 ST dry vented batter head, and wood batter hoop is my "perfect."
Anyone know what year Ludwig stopped making the rounded bearing edge on this model?
Thx
I'd guess 82-83 with the B/O badge.

By the way, I don't think the serial numbers make much sense numerically after the Chicago plant closed. My hammered bronze has a Monroe badge with a serial number beginning with 3,15x and with an ink stamp of 107. I assumed that was for Oct '87. Mine has a backwards 'B' above the tone control knob. It's my favorite drum.

Also, it has a rounded bearing edge and I'm guessing that they still do, along with the other Supras made today.
Old 07-11-2016, 05:58 PM
#6
Oldenuf Oldenuf is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 4
Default Re: Hand hammered bronze Supraphonic
correction on that catalog no.: 552k, not 522k

Mo --- mine doesn't have a "B" or "Br" forward or backward; could it be copper?!
somebody described their vintage hammered bronze supra on ebay, with a rounded bearing edge, claiming they don't make 'em with rounded edge any more? i haven't double checked that with any reliable source.
jeff
Old 07-11-2016, 06:16 PM
#7
Mo Tonkie Mo Tonkie is offline
Vintage Drum Guru
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: S of Nash
Posts: 629
Default Re: Hand hammered bronze Supraphonic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldenuf View Post
correction on that catalog no.: 552k, not 522k

Mo --- mine doesn't have a "B" or "Br" forward or backward; could it be copper?!
somebody described their vintage hammered bronze supra on ebay, with a rounded bearing edge, claiming they don't make 'em with rounded edge any more? i haven't double checked that with any reliable source.
jeff
I doubt it's copper, or at least I'm unaware of any earlier copper Supras.
I'd guess it's bronze. Ludwig probably left the B or Backwards B off of the drum. You can never tell with Ludwig.
Others on here have the same drum as yours and I'm sure they'll chime in to help.
I checked my bearing edge and it isn't as round as the bearing edges on my 402 Supra, so the guy might be right in what he says. I never noticed the sharp bearing edge before. Learn something new every day!
Attached Thumbnails
Old 07-11-2016, 08:09 PM
#8
Hoppy Hoppy is offline
Vintage Drum Guru
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 790
Default Re: Hand hammered bronze Supraphonic
These drums appeared in the '82 catalog on page 5 (along with the hammered "chrome" aluminum Supra). The "smooth" bronze made the debut in '81. Also these drums were never listed as hand hammered, just "hammered," as a machine was doing the hammering not an artisan.

After the move to NC it appears that the hammering marks were slightly larger and argualbly more uniformly patterned.

These shells have a high copper content, mine measured at 88.73% Cu | 10.21 Zn, and thus that wonderful hue! Mine is an upside down "B" shell with a mid-80's Chicago Keystone badge - serial number is 3112485 (badge dating is not the most accurate method as we all know these things didn't matter that much back in the day to Ludwig or the consumers). It's also sporting the great twin-channel die cast hoops.
Attached Thumbnails
Old 07-11-2016, 08:47 PM
#9
Mo Tonkie Mo Tonkie is offline
Vintage Drum Guru
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: S of Nash
Posts: 629
Default Re: Hand hammered bronze Supraphonic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoppy View Post
These drums appeared in the '82 catalog on page 5 (along with the hammered "chrome" aluminum Supra). The "smooth" bronze made the debut in '81. Also these drums were never listed as hand hammered, just "hammered," as a machine was doing the hammering not an artisan.

After the move to NC it appears that the hammering marks were slightly larger and argualbly more uniformly patterned.

These shells have a high copper content, mine measured at 88.73% Cu | 10.21 Zn, and thus that wonderful hue! Mine is an upside down "B" shell with a mid-80's Chicago Keystone badge - serial number is 3112485 (badge dating is not the most accurate method as we all know these things didn't matter that much back in the day to Ludwig or the consumers). It's also sporting the great twin-channel die cast hoops.
.

Gorgeous drum. I'm curious, is your bearing edge like mine, kinda sharp instead of rounded?
Old 07-12-2016, 08:13 PM
#10
Hoppy Hoppy is offline
Vintage Drum Guru
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 790
Default Re: Hand hammered bronze Supraphonic
It looks like the standard Ludwig flange... I've attached a couple of images for your comparison. Hopefully they're not too small to see the details.
Attached Thumbnails
 

Tags
bronze , date by serial number , hand hammered , round bearing edge , supraphonic

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules

Collapse Forum Rules Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Search Options
Tag Search Advanced Search