Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 114.83090%

Rogers Holiday Black Value

Hi,

I am new to this forum and could use some help pricing a set of drums. I believe they were made in 1968. It's a 4 pc black Rogers Holiday Kit. No snare or hardware but in mint condition. Also a bit of a back story to them but none of it is documented.

This kit belonged to Uncle John Turner, Johnny Winters' drummer and the word has it that he took them with him to Woodstock in '69 but because it was so wet and the musicians had to be flown in via helicopter, he wasn't actually able to play them there.

The 8x12 tom is missing the tag with the serial number. All the others have them. I'm not a drummer so I may be getting these sizes wrong but I'll give it a valiant effort.

Bass-15x20 Ser#95134

Floor-16x16 Ser#98368

Tom-9x13 Ser#90492

Tom-8x12 No Tag

Can someone please point me in the right direction in terms of asking price?

3 attachments
Posted on 9 years ago

Looks good...

Without a snare....& extra hardware...about $700/800 range.

Best of luck.

Bop iT / Til U Drop iT.

ROGER's
1964 Cleveland,.18/14/12 in WMP
1966 Cleveland, 20/14/12 O'natural.
Fullerton,...20/16/13/12 Silver Glass

WFL
1957 B/R Super Classics In WMP

Snares..
Wood & COB Powertones,
Wood & COB Dynasonics,
57 Jazz Festival

Zildjian avedis cymbals.
40s/60s era.
Posted on 9 years ago

If the history can be demonstrated, and it seems it cannot, that would have tended to increase its value. However, RimsandSkins is probably close to what one would normally pay though I think even that might be a little high. I going to venture a guess that it was originally a set bought with a 14x20 bass, 9x13 mounted tom and 16x16 floor tom with a single tom arm mount used on the left side of the bass and an 'L' arm for a ride cymbal. The 8x12 was probably added later. I speculate on the 9x13 being the main tom, since it was built to be located on the left hand side and so the Rogers script and tone control are not visible. That is also the more likely reason it is the 12" tom that does not have a paper tag inside, since it was probably ordered as a single drum when the double tom mount was added to the bass drum. I think it would sell better as the original 20,13,16 set-up using a single tom arm. Sell off the double tom mount and put a single Swivomatic mount up from for a straight hex splash rod. The sell the 12 as a single. Just my view.

Posted on 9 years ago

I would seriously doubt the provenance of a "road used" set that is "mint" describable 50 years later.

Rogers Drums Big R era 1975-1984 Dating Guide.
http://www.vintagedrumforum.com/showthread.php?t=24048
Posted on 9 years ago

+ 1 to both Dan and Ploughmans guidance here and Rims n skins price range, as these guys really know their Rogers stuff and i believe you can take that to the bank.Best of luck with your sale.

Wayne

1967 Rogers Cleveland Champagne Sparkle
1967/68 Rogers Dayton Champagne Sparkle
1966 Rogers cob 7 Line Dynasonic Snare.
1967 Rogers "Humberto Morales" Timbales.
1980 Ludwig B/O badge 14x 6.5 Black Beauty Snare.
1980 Ludwig B/O badge Red Cortex
1988 Sonor "Horst Link" HLD 590 14x8 Bronze Snare
Posted on 9 years ago

Thank you guys very much for your insight. I really don't want to sell them but times are hard. They were property of my drummer who passed away in 2009. He had 14 sets of Rogers at the time of his death and his girlfriend is the one that told me he had bought them from Uncle John Turner.

I will take all the info under advisement. Thanks once again!

Babygbass75

Posted on 9 years ago

Don't misunderstand. I am not saying they weren't, but mythical provenance is not provenance. I have a Rogers 6.5 XP10 Maple Dyna-Sonic that according to the seller, who is pretty reliable and well known, once belonged to a very famous drummer of the 60s-70s- and 80s. However, I have nothing definitive to prove that drum, and so, the information is simply something I have and do not mention in connection with the drum.

The XP10 SuperTen I own that was built for Gina Schock of the Go-Go's, however, did have good provenance, and has been confirmed by both the builder from Rogers and Ms. Schock. Signatures of both are on the inside of the drum. That makes good provenance.

Rogers Drums Big R era 1975-1984 Dating Guide.
http://www.vintagedrumforum.com/showthread.php?t=24048
Posted on 9 years ago

Just out of curiosity, would anyone care to venture a guess based on the serial number on what year these were manufactured. The tags say Dayton.

Posted on 9 years ago

dayton era drums were made 1966-68, the bass drum t rods on yours would probably make them latter half of 1966-68.

Posted on 9 years ago

From eamesuser

dayton era drums were made 1966-68, the bass drum t rods on yours would probably make them latter half of 1966-68.

Show us pics of the interior shell color & tags pls..

Bop iT / Til U Drop iT.

ROGER's
1964 Cleveland,.18/14/12 in WMP
1966 Cleveland, 20/14/12 O'natural.
Fullerton,...20/16/13/12 Silver Glass

WFL
1957 B/R Super Classics In WMP

Snares..
Wood & COB Powertones,
Wood & COB Dynasonics,
57 Jazz Festival

Zildjian avedis cymbals.