Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 114.83090%

1960's Stewart (MIJ) Wrap?

Wow!!!

That is a killer set.

Jumping2

Good Job.

www.macdrums.com
Posted on 8 years ago

Beautiful! You are incredibly fortunate to have found an entire 4pc kit in this wrap. At least I have a snare drum in the same finish! Thanks for sharing!

-Mark

1 attachments
Posted on 8 years ago

"World's Supreme Quality". That's a big call. I've never seen, let alone played, a Stewart kit, so is the quality as good as what it says on the badge?

Posted on 8 years ago

Hello R.Adam McHugh,

I think the phrase"World's Supreme Quality"

was more implied than it was actual fine workmanship of any kind

especially since the badges and numerous brand labels were created and applied mainly at the behest of the various musical instrument distributors of the day

also the phrase was not exclusive to Stewart badged drum kits

Many Star made kits with the brass oval badges used the phrase

For quality, the builders used cheap castings, inferior chrome plating

and inexpensive wood

the drum shells were designed to be built easily and in huge numbers

On the other hand being that they were Star made stencils

and their quality as it compares to other stencil drums was decent

I am guessing they (these featured fantasia pearl Stewarts)

are the thicker shells, which I know to be pretty sturdy

Most think the thinner shells with the reinforcement rings sound better

But some of them are pretty flimsy

But no, back when these super cool Stewarts were made

I doubt if there was much genuine pride in workmanship behind the phrase on the badges

Later Star fell out of stencil drum making to re-tool as Tama

and at the same time the music stores still had some demand for Stewart drums among others

Pearl actually supplied the kits and applied cheaper foil badges to drums of even lessor quality

perhaps it was just coincidental that the World's Supreme Quality phrase was no longer used on the foil badge Stewarts

Posted on 8 years ago

You nailed it Kenwood! These drums are thick shell. They sound amazing. I use Remo Coated Emperor's as batters and Remo Coated Ambassador's as reso's. They sound great when cleaned up and tuned. Love them. I have a few sets...hard to part with them once they're in the collection.

Kits:

1960's Stewart "Black Onyx" - 13", 16", 20" & 14"
1960's Stewart "Fantasia Pearl" - 12", 13", 13", 16", 20" & 14"
1960's Stewart "Vintage 60's Black Oyster | Re-wrapped" - 12", 13", 14", 16", 20" & 14"

Additional Snares:

1960's Stewart "Peacock Pearl" 10-Lug
1960's Stewart "Fantasia Pearl" 6-Lug
1960's Stewart "Black Onyx" 8-Lug
1960's Stewart "Black Onyx" 6-Lug
1960's Stewart Chrome Snare 10-Lug X 5
Posted on 8 years ago

From Kenwood

Hello R.Adam McHugh,I think the phrase"World's Supreme Quality"was more implied than it was actual fine workmanship of any kindespecially since the badges and numerous brand labels were created and applied mainly at the behest of the various musical instrument distributors of the dayalso the phrase was not exclusive to Stewart badged drum kits Many Star made kits with the brass oval badges used the phrase For quality, the builders used cheap castings, inferior chrome plating and inexpensive wood the drum shells were designed to be built easily and in huge numbers On the other hand being that they were Star made stencils and their quality as it compares to other stencil drums was decent I am guessing they (these featured fantasia pearl Stewarts)are the thicker shells, which I know to be pretty sturdyMost think the thinner shells with the reinforcement rings sound betterBut some of them are pretty flimsy But no, back when these super cool Stewarts were made I doubt if there was much genuine pride in workmanship behind the phrase on the badgesLater Star fell out of stencil drum making to re-tool as Tamaand at the same time the music stores still had some demand for Stewart drums among others Pearl actually supplied the kits and applied cheaper foil badges to drums of even lessor quality perhaps it was just coincidental that the World's Supreme Quality phrase was no longer used on the foil badge Stewarts

I figured they were cheaply-made mass-produced numbers coming out of Japan and the quality, although obviously not top of the line, was probably around or just above entry level? Having said that some of these lesser kits can sound fantastic. I will continue to wax lyrical over my old Maxwin toms and the sound they produce.

Plus, I am a bit of a sucker for WMP, so I'm loving that Stewart kit... Thanks for the info!

Posted on 8 years ago

I would LOVE to own a set in that finish.Do have a snare,but. Alas,that is probably as far as my search will go!Jim

Ludwig collection of sets and pioneer snare drums.
Example of Rogers,Slingerland,Gretsch,Premier and Ajax sets.
Various '60's and '70's US,English and Japanese snare drums.
HELP,NEED MORE SPACE!
Posted on 8 years ago

I have acquired a Fantasia Pearl snare. It was no easy find though, I searched for almost a year with no luck, finally one came up on eBay and the cost didn't matter much...hahaha.

Kits:

1960's Stewart "Vintage 60's Black Oyster | Re-wrapped" - 12", 13", 14", 16", 20" & 14"

Additional Snares:

Posted on 8 years ago

From MatthewSorge

Fantasia Pearl (after restore).

Amazing! You still got it?

Posted on 7 years ago

I do, yes. It's part of the permanent collection.

Kits:

Additional Snares:

Posted on 7 years ago
Action Another action Something else here