Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 114.83090%

"I'm the Dumbest Guy on This Forum Reason #19"

Who knew that an Acro B/O badge was glued on when put on way back in the 70's NOT ME!

I've had this snare drum for ever and it wasn't until the last year that I ran the serial number on it only to figure out that this ISN'T my original - bought for me by my Mom in our school's multi-purpose room when I was 9 years old and starting 5th grade - but that somehow it got mixed up with someone else's in college in the 80's. CryBaby

Anyway, I thought the biggest challenge would be removing the grommet and spacer, in tact and undamaged so I could re-use it. I have plenty of 3/8" Ludwig brass grommets, but no silver of that size in stock, and I'm down to one spacer left. So I thought I'd try and get 'em both off in not just passable condition, but as close to undamaged as possible in order to put back on (I'm getting ready to remove the damaged anodized coating and take this Acro down to the aluminum shell, sandbuffpolish and enjoy.)

So after about 30 minutes and a small army of tools, I got both the grommet and spacer off in pretty darn good condition. What I wasn't hearing was the smile invoking sound of the badge falling away and landing on the bench. Oh oh.

So an equal amount of time was spent getting the badge off the shell - nothing like 40 year old glue the lesson of experience. Next time, I'll be mentally ready for the battle! :)

By the way - does anybody know of a good supplier of genuine Ludwig spacers? I was told by Precision Drum in NY to "just get some at my local hardware store" - not quite what I wanted to hear.....

Posted on 9 years ago

Did you try using a blow dryer or heat gun to soften the glue?

As for the spacers...I bought some off of eBay a couple of years back...can't remember the seller, though. I bought it along with some brass grommets...so maybe start your search there.

- EMD
Posted on 9 years ago

All B/O badges had self-adhesive backs. Yours must have been really dry, because usually they're not that hard to peel off.

John

Too many great drums to list here!

http://www.walbergandauge.com/VintageVenue.htm
Posted on 9 years ago

Oh great - Reason #20.

No I didn't think of a heat source....instead I used a tiny lab spatula. But I will next time. Thankfully I was able to get it off without bending it.

Thanks for the tip on the spacers - I'll keep an eye on eBay - in the mean time, anybody else has a source, please let me know.

Pat

Posted on 9 years ago

Pat here is your source, email him for them. http://www.ebay.com/usr/myoldkentuckydrums

Your drummers not much good is he!? What you need is someone that's as good as me. ! John Henry Bonham !!
Posted on 9 years ago

I had an acro that was from the same era as yours. I also had to remove the badge on it. the glue was very unforgiving on mine as well. I had used the hair dryers with success before. but no luck with this one. I feel your pain.

mike

Posted on 9 years ago

As mentioned above those were peel and stick badges (I have an unstuck one around here somewhere that was swiped [not by me] during a Ludwig factory tour in the 70's). I've had the best luck removing these sorts of badges using a hair dryer as a heat source to soften the adhesive and dental floss to pull under the badge to cut through it.

Posted on 9 years ago

From K.O.

As mentioned above those were peel and stick badges (I have an unstuck one around here somewhere that was swiped [not by me] during a Ludwig factory tour in the 70's). I've had the best luck removing these sorts of badges using a hair dryer as a heat source to soften the adhesive and dental floss to pull under the badge to cut through it.

Dental floss, what a great idea!! Thanks for the tip!!

Cheers

1976 Ludwig Mach 4 Thermogloss 26-18-14-14sn
1978 Ludwig Stainless 22-22-18-16-14-13-12 c/w 6-8-10-12-13-14-15-16-18-20-22-24 concert toms
1975 Sonor Phonic Centennials Metallic Pewter 22-16-13-12-14sn (D506)
1971 Ludwig Classic Bowling Ball OBP 22-16-14-13
1960's Stewart Peacock Pearl 20-16-12-14sn
1980`s Ludwig Coliseum Piano Black 8x14 snare
1973 Rogers Superten 5x14 & 6.5x14 COS snares
1970`s John Grey Capri Aquamarine Sparkle 5x14 snare
1941 Ludwig & Ludwig Super 8x14 snare
Posted on 9 years ago

I just acquired a Supraphonic that somebody attached the badge with what looks like JB WELD.

Posted on 9 years ago
Action Another action Something else here