Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 114.83090%

Slingerland Metal Snare - Is it Barrett Deems Model?

From Bill Carbone

Thanks everyone. Any ideas what this guy should be worth? It's basically mint.

It's all about finding the right buyer. I wouldn't like to guess a price on it. Being that it's black and brass badge with no serial makes it desirable enough. Check eBay sold listings for some drums similar to this. I know I paid $150 for my COB Gene Krupa. Slingy metal snares don't seem to be as valuable as Ludwig or Rogers, but this is not commn Gene Krupa model so I really don't know. Don't expect a four figure number is all I'm saying.

Posted on 8 years ago

Nice drums. I have one, but the internal damper is a single pad, not the double like yours.

Yes, it is the Brass Shell model.

They are certainly not as common as the later 3 line shells. I think I paid $225 for mine, and thought that was a good deal. I had been looking for one, and had to wait quite awhile before one in good condition came up for sale.

I really wanted the lacquered brass version, not the chromed, but couldn't find one in good shape.

Posted on 8 years ago

I realize this is an archaic post but it popped up in a Google search��. This is a Barrett Deems model. I have one as well.

Posted on 1 year ago

These drums are properly identified as the "New Brass Shell Snare Drum" first appearing in '58. Per Slingerland historian Dr Carl Wenk the "Barrett Deems" name was not added until '61, appearing in that catalog. Technically the '58, '59 and '60 versions of these drums are NOT "Barrett Deems" models. In '62 the COB model names changed to Festival, Krupa and Radio King.

Posted on 1 year ago

Adding to the above information, the OP's drum (Bill Carbone) seems to meet the criterion for a "Barrett Deems" model. The pre serial Niles badge was used '61 and '62 only, the last year for the dual pad muffler was '61 so this drum likely dates to '61.

Edit: Missed this on first look but even more compelling is the badge placement to the right of the strainer and the muffler 180 degrees across from the badge. This layout occurred in later '60 to mid '61 all but assuring this is a '61 drum.

Posted on 1 year ago

From slingerfan

Adding to the above information, the OP's drum (Bill Carbone) seems to meet the criterion for a "Barrett Deems" model. The pre serial Niles badge was used '61 and '62 only, the last year for the dual pad muffler was '61 so this drum likely dates to '61.

Hey slingerfan! Always appreciate that you are on top of these things and help to sort out everything "Slingerland". Keep up the good work!

-Mark

Posted on 1 year ago

As a side, to sum things up, I reckon Barrett got around.

Posted on 1 year ago
Action Another action Something else here