Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 114.83090%

1950s Cymbals with John Grey Kit

Hello!

I recently purchased a 1956 John Grey Autocrat kit that came with everything original. Along with the kit, snare, hardware, original seat, was included a suitcase full of original odds and ends (cowbell, a pair of brushes, original drumstick holder etc.) - this was the suitcase that originally came over with the kit in the 1950s from London to Sydney, Australia.

The question I have is regarding the cymbals. According to the seller the cymbals are original too, but I have no idea what they are. According to Catalogs the 50s John Grey kits came with Zyn cymbals but these don't appear to be Zyn. The 20" ride is stamped with what looks like "R E X" and the 14" hi hats have a logo (which seems to mimic the star and moon of Zildjian logos) and the name "Crescent"

Any ideas??

Photos attached

Posted on 5 years ago

Hi .....The drums look to be in top notch condition. Top of the range john grey autocrat. The cymbals originally were the zyn cymbals. The original drummer obviously wanted better cymbals and went for the ones you have there. I dont have a clue as to makers. On the forum ask Zenstat he knows all about paiste and zildjian and might shine a light for you. I say this if they sound good then thats all that matters. Getting back to the drums. The snare drum do you have the original wires fitted which went right over the head onto 2 plastic blocks held in at strainer and butt with a pin. I have same snare drum in immaculate condition in BDP with original wires. Also mine has the john grey makers stamp inside although a bit faded. Take more detailed pics and put the drums in the gallery. Once again a top looking kit. Another fine kit made in england.....sean

Posted on 5 years ago

That is a gorgeous kit, I love the aqua looking finish.

Posted on 5 years ago

What a dream kit! Hit me up if you ever tire of it, haha!

12/14/20 Mahogany INDe Bop Cocktail Hybrid

Late 50s Black Nitron 3 Ply Gretsch 13/16/20 w/ Max Roach Snare
Posted on 5 years ago

From oscarborris

Hello!I recently purchased a 1956 John Grey Autocrat kit that came with everything original. Along with the kit, snare, hardware, original seat, was included a suitcase full of original odds and ends (cowbell, a pair of brushes, original drumstick holder etc.) - this was the suitcase that originally came over with the kit in the 1950s from London to Sydney, Australia.The question I have is regarding the cymbals. According to the seller the cymbals are original too, but I have no idea what they are. According to Catalogs the 50s John Grey kits came with Zyn cymbals but these don't appear to be Zyn. The 20" ride is stamped with what looks like "R E X" and the 14" hi hats have a logo (which seems to mimic the star and moon of Zildjian logos) and the name "Crescent"Any ideas??Photos attached

REX, is UFIP.

It`s a drum,.....Hit It !!

.....76/#XK9207 Phonic Sound Machine D454/D-505 snares !i
Posted on 5 years ago

I too was going to say UFIP. Back in the old days, there were few cymbals choices. You got Zildjian, or you settled for something less. UFIP was the stencil cymbal maker of the day, in that they made cymbals under various names, like Zenjian, Alejian, Zyn, etc. They were all names reminiscent of Zildjian.

Posted on 5 years ago

I think those Crescents are Italian stencils. They can be very nice, likely a step up from the stock Zyns.

Posted on 5 years ago

Very nice set!!

Cheers

1976 Ludwig Mach 4 Thermogloss 26-18-14-14sn
1978 Ludwig Stainless 22-22-18-16-14-13-12 c/w 6-8-10-12-13-14-15-16-18-20-22-24 concert toms
1975 Sonor Phonic Centennials Metallic Pewter 22-16-13-12-14sn (D506)
1971 Ludwig Classic Bowling Ball OBP 22-16-14-13
1960's Stewart Peacock Pearl 20-16-12-14sn
1980`s Ludwig Coliseum Piano Black 8x14 snare
1973 Rogers Superten 5x14 & 6.5x14 COS snares
1970`s John Grey Capri Aquamarine Sparkle 5x14 snare
1941 Ludwig & Ludwig Super 8x14 snare
Posted on 5 years ago

Cool JG kit. I had a Broadway model for a while.

Posted on 5 years ago
Action Another action Something else here