Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 114.63048%

Rogers Powertone Red Onyx Pearl Wrap

Hey Gurus, I've recently come to own this beauty. However, the wrap in two places has split. I don't know how to approach this or if it can be solved. It's as if the shell expanded (like my waistline) and just outgrew the wrap (like my belt.) Has anyone seen this before?

Any advice on how to address this would be appreciated!

Mike

2 attachments
Posted on 5 years ago

The wrap has a tendency to shrink over time. If the edges have lifted, you could try gluing them back down. Check youtube as there are several methods to accomplish this.

I have has some success after "fixing the edges" using a felt pen to color the exposed shell.

The new wrap is very close to the original if you decide that wrap needs replacing. sk Precision Drum for a sample piece to check this idea out on your set. Color match fading will also influence this decision.

Posted on 5 years ago

I had success filling in cracks with a piece of wrap from Precision. I did an etching of the crack on a piece of paper then transferred that to the wrap. It took a long time to shave the piece to fit, but you now have to get pretty close to see it was patched. Here's a pic of the patch in progress.

1 attachments
Posted on 5 years ago

Rogers Onyx and Strata finishes were very prone to shrinking over the years, resulting in small, and even large, cracks. All the above recommendations are excellent.

73Rogers... great work on the patch job!

-Mark

Posted on 5 years ago

Going from memory here, but according to a materials science professor at the University of NH (70's era), the plasticizer is breaking down in these wraps causing the molecules to separate. Short story - plastic doesn't last forever. Example - automobile instrument panels in the 60's era, for which this guy received a large grant to solve/reduce the cracking problem for the future.

Only time will tell, but the new wraps may last longer than what was used during the era in which that red onyx drum was made because of improvements in plasticizers.

Regarding new wrap; the newer onyx wraps have a bit more horizontal pattern that is closer to what you saw on drums as the end of the Holiday era was approaching (Fullerton, CA). The earlier drums tend to have wrap that has a wider more vertical pattern with more red and less black. There is a Fullerton set for sale on eBay right now that has original wrap that is very close to the new wrap. A shot of a red onyx kit with new wrap also attached. It's not as clear as I might have hoped. Light wasn't very good that day.

Posted on 5 years ago

Here's my '67 wrap with the piece of Precision wrap taped to it for comparison.

1 attachments
Posted on 5 years ago

From Dan Boucher

Going from memory here, but according to a materials science professor at the University of NH (70's era), the plasticizer is breaking down in these wraps causing the molecules to separate. Short story - plastic doesn't last forever. Example - automobile instrument panels in the 60's era, for which this guy received a large grant to solve/reduce the cracking problem for the future.Only time will tell, but the new wraps may last longer than what was used during the era in which that red onyx drum was made because of improvements in plasticizers. Regarding new wrap; the newer onyx wraps have a bit more horizontal pattern that is closer to what you saw on drums as the end of the Holiday era was approaching (Fullerton, CA). The earlier drums tend to have wrap that has a wider more vertical pattern with more red and less black. There is a Fullerton set for sale on eBay right now that has original wrap that is very close to the new wrap. A shot of a red onyx kit with new wrap also attached. It's not as clear as I might have hoped. Light wasn't very good that day.

Great info, Dan!

-Mark

Posted on 5 years ago

From 73Rogers

Here's my '67 wrap with the piece of Precision wrap taped to it for comparison.

An excellent comparison shot!

-Mark

Posted on 5 years ago
Action Another action Something else here